iWork...where is it ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi All

Into my third week with my iMac, and I am loving the new experience.
My question is, where will I find the trial of iWork.

This is my second iMac - the first had a bad fault - but on that machine, there was a trial for pages. I never used it, but I remember seeing it in "Applications". Since getting this new iMac, I have not seen the icon for it, and I would like to try it before buying the full thing. Will it be on one of the two Apple install discs that came with the iMac?
Also, what is the procedure when buying online...do you get a discount.

Cheers

Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
That's odd, I have a folder in my applications folder that says iWork 06. Have you tried checking for it in spotlight?

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi

Thanks for your reply. Since posting I have been looking around the system and found it in "Library". It was Applications on the other machine. Strange!!

Thanks again

Philip

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just tried to install the .pkg file. I have agreed to the terms etc, but it will not install. It starts to install then comes up with the message. "There were errors installing the software' Please try again....but no success...any ideas?

philip

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I have just tried to install the .pkg file. I have agreed to the terms etc, but it will not install. It starts to install then comes up with the message. "There were errors installing the software' Please try again....but no success...any ideas?

philip

Pop the second install disc in and look for the optional packages installer. Run that and you should find it listed, tick the box and install it.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Glad that you found it, but i purchased Iwork myself and Microsoft office, and i never use Iwork, office is so much easier as im a switcher
also no problems taking work to school

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Mikeyman

I'm a switcher myself, and I am used to MS Word, but having read mixed reviews about iWork, I thought I would give it a try, seeing as it is on the machine as a trial. I take it from your comments that it is poor in comparison. Any help at this stage would be appreciated before I make a purchase.

Note: I stil cannot get iWork to Work !...Tries second disc, but no indication that it is on there.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Note: I stil cannot get iWork to Work !...Tries second disc, but no indication that it is on there.

Oops, sorry about that. It used to be on the second disk of the Tiger retail disk set but you're right it isn't on the install disks included with my MacBook.

The funny thing is that I'm prety sure that when I re-installed from those disks I then deleted the iWorks trial from the Applications folder, so where did it come from?

Weird!

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
iWorks might be great. And if you live in a world where you never have to share your documents with others, or can control all of the computers in your group so they all run iWorks, then iWorks is a viable option.

If you live in the bigger wider world with the rest of us, Office is more of a standard than even Windows itself. The ability to communicate via Word, Excel, and Powerpoint is integral to just about any company or trans-company work you might ever want to accomplish.

It's not impossible for that to change -- remember back to the major paradigm shift from WordPerfect to Word -- but for the foreseeable future, Office is a must-have in just about any office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
iWorks might be great. And if you live in a world where you never have to share your documents with others, or can control all of the computers in your group so they all run iWorks, then iWorks is a viable option.

If you live in the bigger wider world with the rest of us, Office is more of a standard than even Windows itself. The ability to communicate via Word, Excel, and Powerpoint is integral to just about any company or trans-company work you might ever want to accomplish.

Agreed. I still decided not to purchase MS Ofice (although I may when Office 2008 comes to Mac) - instead I'm using the free Neo Office, and it does everything I need it to. It actually runs very quickly once it is loaded as well.

Reaction score
I definitely would have opted for Neo Office if it handled password-protected Office files and revision marking. If not for those two features (which unfortunately I need for work), Neo Office by all accounts is a pretty good suite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.