Power Surge

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have my Mac Pro connected to a power surge, but tonight the power in my house went out twice. Can this cause some serious damage? Is there anything that I should check and make sure the machine is ok? I mean it seemed to be running fine to me. Thanks!

Tim

Reaction score
G'day irishsti,

I don't exactly understand what you mean by power surge when you say:

I have my Mac Pro connected to a power surge

... that literally translates to a surge in power. I can only presume you mean that you have a Surge Protector between your Mac and the mains...which is an excellent idea.

Quote from Wiki:

A surge protector is an appliance designed to protect electrical devices from power surges and voltage spikes. Surge protectors attempt to regulate the voltage supplied to an electric device by either blocking or shorting to ground voltage above a safe threshold.

It is important for every computer owner, if they wish to protect their computer from power surges/spikes, to buy and install a surge/spike protector.

I surge protect my iMac and suggest everyone do the same.

In your case there was no surge/spike in power to your Mac Pro so, if you haven't lost any data and your Mac Pro's working fine - I would recommend just keep an eye on things.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am pretty sure he means a Surge Protector. He had 2 power black outs and wonders if his Mac Pro is safe.

If I am wrong sorry.

If you have a lot of blackouts like that, you would be better off with a good UPS that will keep power to the computer after the blackout and allow it to be shut down the proper way so there will be no damage. I once had a surge when my power browned out here in town and my new Maxtor HDD got damaged. A UPS is the way to go if you have a lot of power problems.

OP
I
Reaction score
You are both correct. I should have worded it differently. I have the power cord hooked up to a surge protector, simply because I was told it is always a good idea. I was just worried that the power outs causing the machine to shut down very rapidly might damage it, especially since the lights went out once, I turned the computer back on and five minutes later it went out again. I guess I will just keep an eye on it. Thanks for the help!!

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Just to make sure that your surge protector is grounded, there should be a light on the surge protector indicating that it is or not. Most of those expensive surge protectors come with insurance in case of damage to your computer, but if not grounded, it will null the insurance.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
at worst you might have a corrupt file. if something was being saved, moved, copied, etc. otherwise, you should be ok.

i've had a UPS system for years. definitely worth investing in if you have something as pricey as a mac pro. of course, since i've had laptops for my last three main computers, i've had less of a need for a UPS. now it keeps my modem and wireless router powered in case of a blackout.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.