Do I need a Base Station?

Reaction score
Hi there,

Been meaning to find a Mac Forum to ask this question for a while, and what better a place than a forum called 'Mac Forums'...

Anyway, I have an iMac G5 with Airport built in and I have an iBook also with Airport built in. My question is, can I connect these two computers together (ie: to share/copy files and share internet connection) with just the inbuilt cards or do I need a base station to make them talk to each other? If not, how do I do it as I can't figure it out!

Also, what is the difference between an 'Extreme' and 'Express' base station?

Thanks!
Ross

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Yes. You can use the built-in Airport card to communicate between the iMac and the iBook provided that you keep them not too far away from each other.

Airport Express is only a wireless Modem with an integrated AirTunes functionality(latest). Airport Extreme on the other hand allows you to share printers (print server) using Bonjour and contains more server capabilities.

OP
R
Reaction score
What would not too far away be? Do they need to be sitting next to each other, or can they be in another room of the house? And how do I set them up to communicate to one another?

Ross

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.