Need: Mac equivalent of audio input of windows "stereo mix"

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a core 2 duo macbook pro. I'm trying to record streaming video. Windows has this option where you set your audio imput to "stereo mix" where it records what the output is as the input. However, Mac OS 10.4 does not seem to have this option standard. Do I need special software? If so what?

I'm trying to run parallels doing this since the streaming video is much easier to use in windows than OS X. However, whatever I record, I get the audio recorded from the Mac internal Microphone. I learned that parallels takes whatever audio input setting in OS and using that in windows. So I need to figure out how to get an equivalent of "stereo mix" before I can record like I want. Any suggestions??

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I assume you are using Audacity, or possibly Garage Band to attempt your recordings. Unfortunately, there is no way to get at least Audacity to do the 'stereo mix' thing for recording streams. I had thought my Mac Mini just wasn't up to snuff or because it didn't have an audio input and that was why, but found later that it just can't be done. Audacity developers themselves have stated that it can't be done on a Mac for whatever reason.

However, for a small fee of the type most cool software for the Mac requires, AudioHijack will do exactly what you want. (And it's what the Audacity website suggests for the Mac.) In fact it'll record just the sound input from a particular app, such as iTunes or whatever other audio you point it to, without recording other sounds like mail notifications and the like. Yeah, it kind of sucks but that seems to be how it is.

In the meantime I continue to use Windows to record streams. Haven't tried recording under Parallels because I have the windows option but that might work as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.