Which is better?

Reaction score
I will be getting a MBP soon and I will be using wireless 50% of the time.

Would an Airport Base Station work better than a Linksys G wireless router?

There would be another PC using the wireless and I would need to hook them up with the Ethernet cord too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Airport Base Station is my personal favorite. Sorry, I am bias.

OP
E
Reaction score
Airport Base Station is my personal favorite. Sorry, I am bias.

I am new to the Mac world, so I really don't know what works better and what doesn't.

Plus with the Airport, I could use the Wirless N with my MBP, which is a plus.

Reaction score
At least according to Apple's web site, the 802.11n functionality will only be available if all hardware connected to the wireless network is operating on "n" ... so if you have a non-"n" computer or printer or wireless HDD on your network, everything drops to 802.11g anyway.

Reaction score
If you plan on exponating your airport base station on a crystal stand in the center of your living room, then yes, the airport is the better choice.

Technically, there is at this point no proof of higher performance. But I believe the Airport has some cool additional features which you might wanna check out.

OP
E
Reaction score
If you plan on exponating your airport base station on a crystal stand in the center of your living room, then yes, the airport is the better choice.

Technically, there is at this point no proof of higher performance. But I believe the Airport has some cool additional features which you might wanna check out.

Is it worth the $180 though?

If linksys will work, I will probably just stay with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Is it worth the $180 though?

If linksys will work, I will probably just stay with it.

Well, It depends on what you want to do with it. If you want simply to access internet $180 is probably not a sensible investment. However AirPort Extreme Base Station is not just a Wireless modem. It can also be used as a print server and you can even connect few external HDDs through a USB hub and access from any Mac/PC in your local network. If you are buying a new MBP you can use internet x5 faster than the linksys modem.

Reaction score
If you are buying a new MBP you can use internet x5 faster than the linksys modem.

Only if your internet connection is faster than the 802.11g standard. Since most DSL and cable connections are hovering around the 1-2 Mbps range, and 802.11g will transfer at 54 Mbps nominally, an "old" 802.11g network is already pushing data a lot faster than you can bring it into your home through DSL or cable. In fact, the older 802.11b standard is rated for 11 Mbps, which is still much, much faster than your internet connection unless you have a dedicated trunk line in your house. :p

What "n" will give you is the ability to transfer files from your computer to another on the network, or to a networked HDD, or something like the Apple TV, at much faster speeds than the current 802.11g can deliver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
like the poster abover me said N will not give you any benifit unless your running a server or something.

Reaction score
While I'm sure there are exceptions, the amount of data you're sending to a printer is usually so small that the increase in speed from 11 Mbps to 54 Mbps to 540 Mbps is going to be pretty much meaningless.

OP
E
Reaction score
While I'm sure there are exceptions, the amount of data you're sending to a printer is usually so small that the increase in speed from 11 Mbps to 54 Mbps to 540 Mbps is going to be pretty much meaningless.

Thanks for all the help. I think I will stick with the linksys wireless router for now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.