Web Browsers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Hope the following links will help you to decide your own favorite. :)

Camino (lightweight and fast)
open source, graphical Web browser based on Mozilla's Gecko layout engine and specifically designed for the Mac OS X family of operating systems. In place of an XUL-based user interface used by most Mozilla-based applications, Camino uses Mac-native Cocoa APIs. Camino does not include an e-mail client or HTML editor; it concentrates on providing "just the browser" in a lightweight application.

As Camino's aim is to integrate as well as possible with the Macintosh OS, it uses the Aqua user interface and integrates a number of Mac OS X services and features such as Keychain for password management and Bonjour for scanning available bookmarks across your local network. Other notable features include an integrated pop-up blocker, tabbed browsing, and support for open standards.

iCab
iCab is one of very few browsers being developed for Mac OS 9 and earlier OS versions, and is the only one available for 68k systems that features tabbed browsing. At the same time it's compatible with the latest hardware and system software.

iCab's proprietary rendering engine has often been criticised for not supporting CSS and DOM, making it hard to design modern Web pages for the browser. However, in May 2005 the first public beta of iCab 3 was released with dramatically updated layout capabilities (including CSS2 support), although this version is not available for 680x0-Macs. The iCab 3 series also has proper Unicode support, using ATSUI instead of the old WorldScript; this is the reason for iCab 3 requiring Mac OS 8.5 or later.

Flock
Flock is a web browser heavily based upon Mozilla Firefox and other Mozilla technologies, as well as the name of the company developing the web browser. Flock's creators call it a "social browser", due to its ability to interact with popular social networking web services. Such web services include Flickr, Del.icio.us, Technorati, Photobucket, and various popular blogging and news aggregation services.

Shiira
Since the browser is being developed with Safari in mind, the main characteristics of the two browsers are similar. For example, Shiira employs private browsing options to automatically delete history and cookies when selected. However, Shiira has enhanced many features of Safari to give Shiira its own feel. The search engines search field on the toolbar includes many search engines and is fully customizable, and tabbed browsing is very flexible, enabling users to, for example, reorder tabs by dragging, or select an option to refresh tabs when they are clicked. Shiira also takes advantage of Cocoa programming to provide users with a customizable drawer extending from the left or right of the window. The drawer contains bookmarks (which launch based on a user-programmed preference of one or two clicks), history, downloads (to avoid cluttering the screen with additional download windows), a unique page holder to access myriad links while surfing other sites, and an RSS reader. Shiira natively supports in-browser PDF viewing. The browser is of comparable stability and speed to Safari, making it among the fastest and most functional browsers for users of Mac OS X.

SunriseBrowser
A new browser from Japanese Mac community, Sunrise Browser is now available for testing. The browser is developed with XCode using Apple's powerful Cocoa/Objective-C.

Features of Sunrise Browser include
* transparent window
* auto resizable windows
* URL string displaying and copy command
* page archiving
* and more

Opera
Opera is a cross-platform web browser and Internet suite which handles common internet-related tasks, including visiting web sites, sending and receiving e-mail messages, managing contacts, online chat and Widgets. Opera's lightweight mobile web browser Opera Mini and most current versions of its desktop application are offered free of charge.

OmniWeb
OmniWeb was originally developed by Omni Group and released by Lighthouse Design for the NEXTSTEP platform on March 17, 1995. As NeXTSTEP evolved into OPENSTEP and then Mac OS X, OmniWeb was updated to run on these platforms. OmniWeb also briefly ran on Microsoft Windows through the Yellow Box or the OpenStep frameworks.

OmniWeb is developed using the Cocoa API which allows it to take full advantage of Mac OS X features. It uses Quartz to produce images and smooth text, it will use multiple processors if available, and features an interface that makes use of features such as drawers, sheets and customizable toolbars. OmniWeb originally employed its own proprietary HTML layout engine. However, the engine was not fully compatible with all of the most recent Internet standards, such as Cascading Style Sheets. In February 2003, the Omni Group adopted Apple's KHTML-based WebCore rendering engine, which was created by Apple for its Safari browser.

Firefox(My favourite))
Mozilla Firefox (officially abbreviated as Fx, fx,[2] and commonly abbreviated FF) is a graphical web browser developed by the Mozilla Corporation. Started as a fork of the browser component (Navigator) of the Mozilla Application Suite, Firefox has replaced the Mozilla Suite as the flagship product of the Mozilla project, stewarded by the Mozilla Foundation and a large community of external contributors.

SeaMonkey
SeaMonkey is a free, open source, and cross-platform Internet suite that is the continuation of the former Mozilla Application Suite. SeaMonkey is community-driven, in contrast to the Mozilla Application Suite, whose stable 1.7 branch remains governed by the Mozilla Foundation. The new project-leading group is the SeaMonkey Council.

DeskBrowse
DeskBrowse is a software utility that allows users to quickly access the web and get bits of information. It is developed by SGS International for Mac OS X.

DeskBrowse is an innovative web browser with a strong focus on workflow, stability, and speed. It is very lightweight (as compared to most other modern browsers) which allows for maximum performance in all areas of the browser. It places a lightweight web browser with very little CPU requirements at your fingertips. Taking the idea from Apple's Window Drawers (i.e. Mail's mailbox drawer in Panther), the team had inspiration to make a small panel that slides from the side of the screen.

RAF Browser
RAFBrowse is a new, simple, fast Web Browser from RyanAndFriends! Enjoy Simplistic, fast browsing with easy, complex searching, and efficient favorite URL management. Perform searches to Google (Web, Images, And News), YubNub.org, WikiPedia, Dictionary.com, And Thesaurus.com RAFBrowse features some different ideas for the browsing experience, please provide fair feedback that provides suggestions for improvement.

SurfDude
surfDude is a very fast, very small WebKit-based web browser. It's currently in early development but can already perform most browsing tasks quite admirably. It currently supports the following:

* Multiple windows
* External links (links in Mail.app, etc)
* Web icons
* Google searches
* Pop-up blocking
* Banner ad blocking
* Downloads [Temporarily Broken]
* and more.

It uses nothing but standard system elements and is very theme-saavy - This means if you apply a theme to your system in ShapeShifter or another theme program, surfDude will automatically match without any extra work by the themer or user.

Mad Fox
Madfox is based on Firefox to provide enhanced IE compatibility. Features of Madfox include:

* enhanced ability to access html element by id/name
* jscript.encode
* html content-type sniffing
* partial support of xml-dataisland
* fully compatible with Firefox extensions
* and more IE compatiblity features

Internet Explorer(Sorry, there is nothing much to say here)

Netscape X
Netscape is the name of a proprietary Windows web browser published by AOL, but developed by Mercurial Communications. It is a continuation in name of the Netscape series of browsers, originally produced by the defunct Netscape Communications Corporation.

Lynx(Command line only)
Lynx was originally designed for Unix and VMS and remains the most popular console browser on GNU/Linux. Versions are also available for DOS, and recent versions run on all Microsoft Windows releases. Versions for Mac OS X are provided by OSXGNU. There is also a "Classic" Macintosh version called MacLynx "for System 7 and later", but it is not regularly updated.

Safari
Safari is a web browser developed by Apple Inc., and is available as part of Mac OS X.

A Google search box is a standard component of the Safari interface, as are software services that automatically fill out web forms, manage passwords via Keychain and spell check entries into web page text fields. The browser also includes an integrated pop-up ad blocker and a configurable image blocker.

Sources: Wikipedia.org & Macupdate

Click here to find out the M-F user favorite :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Nice list, some of those I've never heard of. Might have to try them out.

Reaction score
I've looked at a lot of 'em. But in the end Safari seems to do the job. I'm always open to finding a better mouse trap, however...so I'll keep trying stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I didnt know there were so many. However i will stick with Safari :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I like Safari the best :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
I like Safari the best too. I always try new ones but somehow end up on Safari again. I personally would use SunriseBrowser if for some odd reason I wasn't allowed to use Safari anymore. I like the bookmarks window, along with the transparecny capability.

T

todd51

I went from Camino, to Safari, and finally to Firefox.

Main reason is because it just seems to perform better for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
I switched back to Safari after trying Camino. I was having problems with Camino crashing everytime I went to Myspace. That's probably a good thing, but still, I'd rather my browser not limit my exploring-- even if it is for my own good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I switched back to Safari after trying Camino. I was having problems with Camino crashing everytime I went to Myspace. That's probably a good thing, but still, I'd rather my browser not limit my exploring-- even if it is for my own good.
Yeah Camino, although I've never had an issue with crashing, has some issues with not displaying certain HTML characters properly. That and its lack of ColorSync profile support are why I don't use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
kicking idea, rep added

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Good information here.
Don't forget that if you want to show which one is your favorite, there is a stickied poll thread just for that :black:

Which web browser do you use?

OP
novicew
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Reaction score
I Personally like The Safari Browser... Firefox runs a little... sluggish... on my Intel Mac, so I Love Safari, it runs fast.. Works Great... Great KHTML engine... I Love IT!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM
I've been a huge FireFox user for a long time on PC and MAC. In fact, I'm typing this from FireFox.

But.. on my MBP, I use Safari b/c FireFox would temporarily lock up with the spinning beach ball of death. This only has happened on a wireless connection. So, I've switched to Safari. It hasn't happen yet. :D

I might try Camino or the SunriseBrowser.

Though. Safari with CoolIris and Saft installed.... hard to beat that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 1.8Ghz 60Gig 512MB
Anyone know with the new Leopard OS will Safari get TABs???

Reaction score
Tabs...

Safari > Preferences > Tabs > Enable Tabbed Browsing
winker.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Tabs? Safari already has tabs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 1.03 TB Fusion Drive
I like Camino and have also used Opera,Safari and Firefox.

Reaction score
That is my only complaint about Safari is that you can do tabs. Overall my favorite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.