"Error trying to connect to Airport Network X.X.X.X"

Reaction score
Hey guys, I did the latest security update on my macbook, and since that i havent been able to connect to my wireless network or to any other network at all, but it works fine when i connect it via cable. The error it gives me says "There was an error trying to connect to Airport Network X.X.X.X" and ive tried to rebooting, turning off/on the airport and nothing. Does anyone knows how to fix it? Ive seen many ppl with the same issue but noone knows how to fix it :(. Imma take it to the apple store tomorow to see what they say.

THanks for your help

Juan

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey guys, I did the latest security update on my macbook, and since that i havent been able to connect to my wireless network or to any other network at all, but it works fine when i connect it via cable. The error it gives me says "There was an error trying to connect to Airport Network X.X.X.X" and ive tried to rebooting, turning off/on the airport and nothing. Does anyone knows how to fix it? Ive seen many ppl with the same issue but noone knows how to fix it :(. Imma take it to the apple store tomorow to see what they say.

THanks for your help

Juan

There are apparently some flaws with the latest wireless update and third-party wireless routers which has been confirmed in Apple's own support forums. I too had a similar problem that could only be resolved by reverting back to the old driver. This process is detailed in this thread. I also had some limited success switching my router over to WPA2 instead of WPA, but I found that it was still not totally reliable and ended up going back to the original driver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 dual 1.8 / G4 Dual 867 / iBook G3
yep, i have also had this, and fixed it by using a 128bit WEP instead of WPA

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yep, i have also had this, and fixed it by using a 128bit WEP instead of WPA

Just keep in mind that WEP is a lot more easily broken than WPA. If you live in a relatively rural area, this may not be of concern, but it is something to keep in mind if you're as paranoid as I am. Try WPA2 if your router supports it, I did have better luck although I found that the connection breaks a bit more readily (it does reconnect easier under WPA2).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cwa07...its your airport working now that u did the downgrading thingy?

Yes, it's working perfectly. However, one of the reasons for the update in the first place was to address a security flaw in the driver that could allow a hacker to compromise your MacBook if they happened to be on the same LAN as you. Granted, this risk is remote, but it IS possible. So, someone suggested that switching to WPA2 might lessen the problem. I did this, then again installed the update and found that indeed, the problem wasn't as bad. However, it still occasionally dropped connection in areas of low signal within my house. That being the case, I left my router set to WPA2 and again reverted back to the original driver. Since then, no problems with dropped connections and better performance with WPA2.

To answer adrianmoore's question regarding how to enable WPA2 - yes, you might need to upgrade firmware on your router. This might be a good idea anyway if you are having problems, several people who have experienced this issue have rectified it with a firmware upgrade and not changing any settings. That said, your router (even with a newer firmware version) may not support WPA2. In my case, my router was already on the latest version and it was simply a matter of switching a dropdown box from WPA Personal to WPA2 Personal. My MacBook Pro immediately noticed the difference and switched accordingly. My Windows notebook required a manual change, but does work as well now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 dual 1.8 / G4 Dual 867 / iBook G3
Thanks cwa107 i'll see if there is an update lurking for my netgear, though there are not many wireless networks near me, its still wise to run the best security

OP
B
Reaction score
ok i got the Mac OS X for Intel (10.4.8) and the pacifist, but i dont see any folder called system, library or extension and i dont see the IO80211Family.kext

OP
B
Reaction score
could anyone that already did this, post the file here,so i can download it? thanks for ur help guys!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok i got the Mac OS X for Intel (10.4.8) and the pacifist, but i dont see any folder called system, library or extension and i dont see the IO80211Family.kext

Open the OS X for Intel DMG file. This should mount it as a disk on your desktop. Open and install Pacifist. Run Pacifist, it should put a window on your desktop that you can drag things into. Now, drag the package file trom the OS X for Intel virtual disk and drop it onto the Pacifist window. Pacifist will show you the structure of the package. Click the triangle next to System, go to Library, go to Extensions and then drag and drop IO80211Family.kext to your desktop. Then, open your Macintosh HD, go to System -> Extensions and drag and drop the file you just extracted into that directory. You'll get a warning that you this can't be done, but click the "Authenticate" button, type your password and it will do it anyway. Then, reboot your system.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
could anyone that already did this, post the file here,so i can download it? thanks for ur help guys!

It's too big - there's a 1MB attachment size limit. Let's see if I can put it up on my webspace for you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i didt it but now it doesnt recognize the airport :S

So, you're no further then you were prior to reverting back? What kind of router are you using?

OP
B
Reaction score
linksys Wireless G

btw does anyone know if i do a restore to my computer would i loose my bootcamp partiton as well?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
linksys Wireless G

btw does anyone know if i do a restore to my computer would i loose my bootcamp partiton as well?

I believe so, but I don't think the problem is with your drivers. Try updating your router's firmware and check your settings. For troubleshooting purposes, I'd recommend turning off security for the time being until you're able to get a connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.