Great list of Keyboard SHORTCUTS

Reaction score
Great list - haven't seen 'maximize window' before. But which is the zoom button?

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
But which is the zoom button?

I believe I changed mine to something easier (Ctrl+Scroll ball)... If I remember correctly.. the default Zoom is Shift+CTRL+Scroll ball.

Try that and let me know... it's a pretty cool "impress your friends" feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0, 1gb ram,80 gig hdd, Powermac G5, 80 Gig HDD, 1/5 gbs of ram. dvd writer
Thanks for posting, i'm making the switch pretty soon. very useful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
What is ⌥

GASP - you've been here since 2004 y'know! ;)

The option/alt/squiggly line key is between the apple/command/clover/swedish campsite key and the ctrl key.
It's supposed to represent a branch or two optional paths, the bottom one of which has been selected.

Mac's are easy!

(Rep points for whoever gets the reference first)

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
GASP - you've been here since 2004 y'know! ;)

The option/alt/squiggly line key is between the apple/command/clover/swedish campsite key and the ctrl key.
It's supposed to represent a branch or two optional paths, the bottom one of which has been selected.

Mac's are easy!

(Rep points for whoever gets the reference first)

Oooohh... Really.. rep points??? Yeah!!! :) (for the swedish Campsite reference right?)

***It's the swedish symbol used to represent an interesting feature in a campground*** See below for the whole story...

We thought it was important for the user to be able to invoke every menu command directly from the keyboard, so we added a special key to the keyboard to invoke menu commands, just like our predecessor, Lisa. We called it the "Apple key"; when pressed in combination with another key, it selected the corresponding menu command. We displayed a little Apple logo on the right side of every menu item with a keyboard command, to associate the key with the command.

One day, late in the afternoon, Steve Jobs burst into the software fishbowl area in Bandley III, upset about something. This was not unusual. I think he had just seen MacDraw for the first time, which had longer menus than our other applications.

"There are too many Apples on the screen! It's ridiculous! We're taking the Apple logo in vain! We've got to stop doing that!"

After we told him that we had to display the command key symbol with each item that had one, he told us that we better find a different symbol to use instead of the Apple logo, and, because it affected both the manuals and the keyboard hardware, we only had a few days to come up with something else.

It's difficult to come up with a small icon that means "command", and we didn't think of anything right away. Our bitmap artist Susan Kare had a comprehensive international symbol dictionary and she leafed through it, looking for an appropriate symbol that was distinctive, attractive and had at least something to do with the concept of a menu command.

Finally she came across a floral symbol that was used in Sweden to indicate an interesting feature or attraction in a campground. She rendered a 16 x 16 bitmap of the little symbol and showed it to the rest of the team, and everybody liked it. Twenty years later, even in OS X, the Macintosh still has a little bit of a Swedish campground in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
We have a winner!

Ride knew the swedish campsite reference right away... for other interesting anecdotes, see Andy Hertzfeld's book 'Revolution in the valley' or his website www.folklore.org.

Reaction score
I just pressed Control+3 when Safari is active and was taken to a magical page that I have no idea what it's use is ... it wasn't the RSS view but the vB view ... for what it's worth????

Reaction score
It looks like the same original page with graphics, text only.

Maybe for faster dl'ing or reading?

Reaction score
The thing is that there doesn't appear to be any links to reach this view....I just stumbled across it by accident....there were no images tho' unless you viewed photo of the month or desktop of the month.

M

MacHeadCase

Nice find Pulse!
icon14.gif

Yeah this is the light view. You will sometimes get that light view when you google for something and stumble upon another forum's thread: you click at the top for the full view with the forum's skin and graphics if you need to see it.

Reaction score
So is this view something that a mod would use or something?

when you google for something and stumble upon another forum's thread

Could you please explain this part a little more?

M

MacHeadCase

No I think it is meant more for people on dial-up maybe. Just to make navigating a bit faster as no graphics load. Some people can't be bothered with graphics so this light view is more to their taste.

I know that Invision board software lets you choose which type of view you'd rather navigate the board you're on. Mac-Forums is my first experience with vBulletin software so it looks like a hidden feature of some kind, not readily available with a simple link at the bottom of the forum page...

Reaction score
Thanks, MHC ... yep, I think I've come across that view in my travels ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
Its the Printable Version of the thread, link is located in the Thread tools right above the first post in each thread. If you hit ctrl+1 it takes you to the home page and ctrl+2 takes you to the Get New search

Reaction score
...and when you're on the Home page and you press Ctrl+4 ... it opens up the "Search the Forum" text box...

Excellent stuff michaelstumpf ... you solved my mystery and added to my understanding of the Mac-Forums.

Are these keyboard shortcuts around the Mac-Forums website actually documented anywhere here? How did you know about them ... the same way as I did, by just randomly pressing key combos for no apparant reason?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.