OS X and .exe????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
What is this (image below).... I right-clicked a picture on my desktop, then clicked "open with"... and found quite a few ".exe" files as choices... I clicked one, but nothing happened... why are these showing up in OS X????

TIA

379348442_4ecad36db5_o.jpg

M

MacHeadCase

I have those too and these Contextual Menu Items came when I installed Adobe Creative Suite 2.

Dummy Adobe couldn't even program the darn install in a way the Mac stuff would go with the Mac install and the Windows stuff would go with the Windows install... :blind:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What is this (image below).... I right-clicked a picture on my desktop, then clicked "open with"... and found quite a few ".exe" files as choices... I clicked one, but nothing happened... why are these showing up in OS X????

TIA

379348442_4ecad36db5_o.jpg

Poor quality control on the part of HP - nothing unusual for them (in my experience).

.exe files are executables on other platforms. Mac OS doesn't run them natively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
I have trouble with .dmg and .exe files from Limewire. I don't even know what .sit is but they don't work either.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have trouble with .dmg and .exe files from Limewire. I don't even know what .sit is but they don't work either.

...and to add to what MacHeadCase said, DMG files should be automatically mounted as virtual disks when you double-click on them. If not, you might need to check on the integrity of the file using the Disk Utility. Use the File -> Check Disk Image function.

Aside from that, remember that Limewire is a means for sharing data between other "peers" - that is, you are downloading from other individuals, just like you. So, they may be unwittingly serving out corrupted files. Anyway, consider the source and don't be surprised if you get a bunch of garbage now and then. It's likely not a problem specific to your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Those .exe files are specific to Adobe, yes they have a windows executable extension but it's really a file that Photoshop reads.

M

MacHeadCase

Those .exe files are specific to Adobe, yes they have a windows executable extension but it's really a file that Photoshop reads.

So what you're saying Ben is that we could run on our Macs those Adobe scripts? I didn't know that!... I'll be darned! :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
.exe files are Windows executable files. They're gibberish to OS X.

Reaction score
God this thread is so out of hand....

Yes those are scripts for Adobe, it's basically nothing but a set of pre-set actions for Photoshop. Nothing scary or Non-Mac. Why don't yo just try running one of them :) you'll see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.