Bought a 466SE Clamshell....lots of questions

M

MTP

This is my first ever Apple. Long time user of intel/amd systems. Needed a change and wanted to start off slow.

Have not got it yet, should be here next week. I have already ordered a 512M ram stick to plug into it.
It will have 9.2 and 10.2.8 preloaded on it.
I was thinking of wiping the hardware and installing 10.3 fresh. I have been told the 466SE does not have enough "umph" to run 10.3 and that due to the low res of 800x600 many apps will not work.

Need some advice if I should just leave as is or wipe and do a clean install of the 10.2 and leave it at that.

Also have found several 40G and 60G 5400 rpm 16M cache hdds that work in the Clamshell. Will the firmware really see such a large drive? And has anyone installed one this drives? Any problems (heat, power issues) and did you notice a performance increase due to the speed and cache increase??

Any pointers would be aprreciated.

OP
L

lzasitko

Clamshell iBook

First thing I did after getting my Clamshell was to put the 512 ram card in, well worth it in my opinion.

What do you mean, not enought omph? I have seen people with 300mhz Clamshells install 10.3 and from all I have heard there are no problems, in fact most say it is faster then Jaguar (10.2.8). Some of iLife requires higher res than what the clamshells support so you are stuck there, using older versions of some but..... I would go for 10.3 simply for the speed advantage over Jaguar.

I have seen 60gig offered for the Clamshells and yes the computer will see it.... I beleive there is a 16gig limit for the boot partition (read it somewhere) but other then that there should be no problem. 7200 rpm drives are also going to speed things up a bit and the only downside that I have heard of is a time hit while on battery power. Some extra heat but not a problem from what I have heard.

Where did you get yours from? ebay?

In any case I think you should like it, I really like mine even if it is slower then yours :D

iPhoto is great, really like it and all I had to do was plug it in and iPhoto started and downloaded any pictures that I had on it. You can do minor editing but if I need to I do have Photoshop on mine. iTunes is great and even have it installed as the default player on my pos pc's :D

I am looking at a larger drive and I have 10.3 coming. Only other thing that I have done is take the screen apart and make the apple logo glow, pretty neat.... if you want you can see what it looks like on my web site www.ibook.homestead.com

OP
M

MTP

lurking through these forums today I came across your apple mod. I will definetly look into that. Seems relatively easy and I need to get into the lcd anyway for some research on an lcd swap out I am considering (plan to repalce current lcd with 12.1 lcd from g3 500 icebook which uses same vid card but supports 1024x768 res).

Yes I got it off ebay for $460 which included a copy of Office v.X.

Notice these forums seem a little dead.

I plan to hold off on the hdd for now. Want to see how this thing works but will get 10.3 and do a clean install.
I'll keep you posted as things move along. Should be here next week (guy just shipped today).

OP
L

lzasitko

Clamshell 466

MTP said:
lurking through these forums today I came across your apple mod. I will definetly look into that. Seems relatively easy and I need to get into the lcd anyway for some research on an lcd swap out I am considering (plan to repalce current lcd with 12.1 lcd from g3 500 icebook which uses same vid card but supports 1024x768 res).

Yes I got it off ebay for $460 which included a copy of Office v.X.

Notice these forums seem a little dead.

I plan to hold off on the hdd for now. Want to see how this thing works but will get 10.3 and do a clean install.
I'll keep you posted as things move along. Should be here next week (guy just shipped today).

Never stops amazing me how the Clamshells retain value, certainly don't see that in the used PC market, most portables that were 4-5000 back in 2001 are selling for nothing now ;)

I would be interested in seeing if the other lcd would work, if it did it would solve some problems. Unfortunatly mine in a Graphite 366 SE so it only have a 4meg video so it might not work. I have been watching any of the 466's that do show up but so far by the time I add shipping and taxes etc to get it into Canada the cost is too high :mad:

There are several forums, this being one of them. I think I posted a list of them on my web site...

Larry

OP
M

MTP

Larry-
Realize now I saw your post over at ibook forums (another really slow site).
Would not mind chatting with you directly if you want to e-mail me.

Anyway, I have an Apple tech site assisting me with the 1024x768 mod. They are going to send me the schematics for the 2 different lcds (after I rip open mine and tell them which of the 3 lcds that where use in the 466SE I have).

He has confirmed that the power requirements are the same which may make this easier than I previous thought.

I also found the MK4026GAX 40G 5400 rpm hdd for $105 online. Plan to pick one up.

Even if the 466SE turns out to be a little slow, it is my first apple and I will learn volumes from owning it.

OP
L

lzasitko

sent you a private message

sent you a pm

This forum and the macaddicts forum are about the busiest. I also watch Apples discusions but find they are most of the time pretty slow...

Larry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.