Airport

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
Ok, I really don't get how all the different numbers compare. I'm talking about the speed of airport and airport extreme. When I bought my 900 Mhz
G3 iBook (about 2 months ago), I also bought one of those USB wireless adapters because I didn't feel like spending as much as the original airport cards are going for. Well, the $40 USB dongle has died on me and the company is not helpful at all. I'm now looking to buy an original airport card. I'm wondering how much, if any, speed I will lose. Like the airport extreme, the USB adapter was rated at 54 Mbps. At times, I had download speeds in the 900 KB/s. Any ideas what my max download speed will be with an airport card? Anyone looking to unload an airport card?

~Damien

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Well 802.11g (which I assume is what your dongle(haha, dongle) was) is rated at 54Mbit/s max, and you'll get about 24Mbit/s out of it on average. 802.11b, which is the origional Airport standard, is only rated for 14Mbit/s max, and will typically only be able to get like 6.5 Mbit/s. Your probably looking at about 1/4th as fast. Depending on your setup, you might be ably to get a little bit more than that out of it, but I wouldn't guess too much more.

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
Okay, thanks for the info. I figured that somebody on here would know enough about this stuff to help me. Very helpful!

~Damien

Reaction score
Exactly right Jeff, any wireless card will most always get about half the speed it is rated at, no matter who makes it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.