A dialog box opens when I start

Reaction score
First, I am totally new to Macs, I last had (still have) a IIc. I am on a slippery slope learning the Mac after being over in the Washington system for the past 18 years.

Anyway, I'm running Tiger (10.5...I think) on an Intel MacBook Pro. The name of my computer is "LMG MacBook".

Every time I start the MacBook, a dialog box named "LMG MacBook" opens showing an icon for my HD and Network. If I start my MacBook 10 times, I'll have 10 of these dialog boxes on my desktop to close.

I can not figure out how to stop or turn off this dialog box from opening on startup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Other than this very small annoyance, it is sure nice to be back in the Mac family!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I am not sure whether I understood you correct. :(
1)Open the Preferences from the Finder Menu.
2)Goto the General Tab
3)Unselect the Hard disks, CDs, DVDs, and iPods and Connected servers

Now when you restart, above mentioned items wont be displayed on your desktop.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, roadrider18.

It would help us if you could post a screenshot of what you see because I don't understand either what you want help with.

The only thing I can think of that you are trying to describe is that the Mac wonders where the system is, on the internal hard drive or on the network. And it can't be Mac OS X 10.5 'cause 10.5 it hasn't been released yet.

Please post the screenshot.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, ignorance is indeed bliss.

Don't know the OS number but it is Tiger.

I'm trying to figure out how to do a screen shot.

I guess I'm using Windows lingo when I say dialog box.

M

MacHeadCase

For a screenshot: Command (or Apple) + Shift + 4.

Crosshairs appear: just drag them and click over the area you want to do a screen grab of.

Tiger is 10.4.x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
I just thought I'd throw this out too:
Full (not selective) screenshots are: Command + Shift + 3

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, just before I joined, I closed 8 of these boxes. I have shutdown and restarted repeatedly, but, can't get the box to reappear. I have no idea what is causing this box to appear. But, when it does, I'll screen shot it and post it here for you'll to analyze. I'm clueless.

Thanks for all the help thus far!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.