I never want the internet to turn off, but how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo 2.33ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb disk drive
I just got my MacBook Pro after pondering the purchase for about a year now! I love it, wish I pulled the trigger on the purchase sooner but I have it now.

My one grips I have not found a solution to though is the fact I sometimes lose internet connectivity when the laptop is not in use. I know this is a feature to conserve power but I cant get it off. When i go to sleep at night I like to shut the MacBook and leave my messenger program and e-mail client running, and in the morning i notice that when I open it up it re-connects to the internet and then downloads my mail and pops my buddy list back up.

Is there a way to make it so it doesn't disconnect the internet and just remain connected? I am using my wireless network at home by the way to connect.

Thanks In Advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you would need to not close it since that puts the computer to sleep and turns everything off besides the ram. You could:

a) leave it open all night.
b) close it but leave a mouse, keyboard and monitor plugged into it.
c) download a program called insomiax which will prevent the computer from going to sleep.

Reaction score
I have my PowerBookG4 on my wireless network. I close the top and leave it. I NEVER lose my Internet Connection. Or, if I do the network connects so quickly when I open it back up that never notice.

Just sayin'...I think there may be another issue.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks G4 I will download that program and try it out!

And Bones: The computer shuts off the airport along with everything else when in sleep mode and I know thats what it is doing, connecting back to the internet once you open and wake it is almost instantaneous, but if I mouseover my one screen name on my buddy list then it says I have been onine for less than a minute. Once I get that program I will go ahead and post back my results. I havent used a Mac in about 12 years and happy to finally be back on one, but I have a lot of learning to do also!

Thanks.

Reaction score
The reason that your internet shuts off is because when we close the lids on the mbp, it initiates sleep on the mbp, which will shut everything off, basically. nothing to do unless you download a program to prevent sleep when you close the lid, or connect your laptop to a monitor, which will disable the sleep function.

T

todd51

I would just keep the lid open and put the screen saver on. Don't shut the lid with having the computer still awake, it will get to hot for it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it turns out that InsomniaX is not compatible with the latest version of OS X. They are re-doing it but that will take some time. I guess I will have to leave the lid open until they are done with the re-code.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would just keep the lid open and put the screen saver on. Don't shut the lid with having the computer still awake, it will get to hot for it.

Well the MacBook is designed to run when shut, thats why it does it when plugged into an external monitor. True, it will probably run a little hotter and the fans may run a little faster but I have no problem with that. The only problem I have is the airport shutting off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Well it turns out that InsomniaX is not compatible with the latest version of OS X. They are re-doing it but that will take some time. I guess I will have to leave the lid open until they are done with the re-code.

I put it on my friends powerbook g4 (no need for it on my macbook pro because i don't leave it closed when i want it to be online) but shes running the latest os (os 10.4) and she says it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I don't suggest any program that keeps your computer running while the lid is closed.. I fried my HD with insomniax.

back to your question you could try this.

sleepless

http://www.alxsoft.com/mac/sleepless.html

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
then that had to be something to do with that particular program. most all notebooks are designed to run with the lid closed. my 14" hp at work runs like this for litterally half the week from 18:30 on wed to 06:30 sunday morning. and come to think of it, i never hear the fans, so they're probably running very slowly and constantly.

Reaction score
i recently got macbook not pro...i don't use mac for download because i don't want it to cut-off the Internet connection when i close the lid...it goes on sleep...i love using mac...but the sleep problem kept me from downloading big files...is there any solution for this??:|

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.