Quiet external hard drive??

Reaction score
Anyone know a quiet external hard drive, around 350 to 500GB? I have seen an I-O DATA 500GB hard drive that has no fan, but it still makes an annoying whizzing sound as the disk rotates, and on top of that if it sits on a desk the vibration is transmitted through the desk to be very loud! Anyone know a good quiet product, that is also reliable?
Thanks!
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I really like Western Digital MyBooks. I like them for their looks, their features, and they are quiet. Check 'em out.

OP
J
Reaction score
And MimiMax?

I really like Western Digital MyBooks. I like them for their looks, their features, and they are quiet. Check 'em out.

I have seen them on the net. The trouble is, it is impossible to "check them out" in the shops, because they don't let you plug them in and listen to them, which is a shame. And I am failing to find in the net any comparison of drives in terms of noise.

Does anyone have experience with the MiniMax? And the Ministack? I can't work out if they are 2 different products - they look the same. Seems they are designed for the mac mini, as they have the same footprint. They seem expensive compared to other external hard disks. I was hoping that might indicate better reliability and lower noise? Anyone have any experience about them?

Most important for me is really to hear comparisons. Noisy or quiet is so subjective, but it is more clear if "a" is less noisy than "b" and so on!
Or if you know any links!
Thanks all!
Best wishes
Justin

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The only site I'm aware of that really tests sound issues for hardware is www.silentpcreview.com And they are very good at it.

Their hardware reviews focus specifically on audio output of devices. HERE is a link to their storage main page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
I have a 'MyBook' external hard drive - 320gb

it is quiet as it has no fan and you can rarely here it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I have a 'MyBook' external hard drive - 320gb

it is quiet as it has no fan and you can rarely here it.

I was fairly sure they didn't have fans, but I didn't know if some of the bigger models did, therwise I probably would have mentioned that. Thanks for the clarification though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
Not sure about Fantom Drives, but this deal came in the mail today.

I'm personally running a Firewire 800 RAID setup I built myself, 2 500GB seagate drives coupled with a Galaxy enclosure. The drives are incredibly quiet, but my enclosure has a fan that could keep babies awake (no off switch).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I've owned a MiniStack V2 for the past year. I put my own WD 300 GB hard drive in it, and when it's running it's quiet as can be.

When it's idle, you don't even know it's standing by.

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.