Wireless internet wont work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook 1Ghz, 1gb ram, OS X 10.4, iPod video 30GB
I have a powerbook g4 and i just bought a safecom "Zydas" usb 2.0 wireless ethernet adapter. I installed the driver and configured all the settings in the networking section of system preferences just like the 10 page instructions told me to do. Under network status, the ethernet adapter says:

" ethernet adaptor (en2) is currently active. Ethernet adaptor ( en2) has a self- assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet."

I have a linksys wireless router. All the other wireless computers i own work fine. It recognizes the linksys router but will not connect to the internet.

Please help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
From the message it is giving you, sounds like during the Zydas set up it had you manually assign an IP address

Under Network status go to Configure
Under the TCP/IP tab make sure it is set for Using DHCP
and then click on the Renew DHCP lease

Even after stting it to use DHCP, you may have to go back into the Zydas software to find the network and input your WEP/WPA password if you are using a secure network.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help, but i still get the same message under network status.
Could it have something to do with my linksys wireless router and my non apple brand wireless usb adapter. It seems like its not communicating correctly with the router.

When i go to the page that shows the available networks to connect to, mine shows up and i click connect and at the bottom of the page it says connecting but never says anything else.

I dont know what to do.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Had same issue on my MBP when I first got it. Network showed, click connect, says it is and then nothing. I do not know what I finally did to get it to work, just kept playing with the options until finally success. think if you are seeing the network, you should be able to get there also.

Here are some of the things I did. took my MBP back next to my PC and went back into the wireless settings of the router first (on my PC), turned on "g" only, set up the WEP key and left it up on the PC while now going to the MAC.

My current settings that are working in Network
Show: Airport - 'choose your card here' and I assume, don't know that wherever I have Airport, you would choose your NIC

This will bring up next screen
Airport tab (assume this title would reflect your card here - ?)
By default, join: Preferred Networks
In the box below it should show the available networks, highlight your network, then click the Edit button below
You will now have a new window with Network Name - make sure your network is in this box,
and also Wireless Security - put in the key here from the router and click OK.
Back on the Airport page now, click Options
Top item change to Ask before joining an open network
Under Require admin password to: put check in Change Wireless Networks
I have everthing else unchecked., Click OK
Put a check mark in Show Airport status in menu bar

Go to TCP/IP tab now and make sure you have Using DHCP in Configure IPv4

click Apply now, close outout of your router software on the windows machine, making sure you save changes if you made any, go ahead and reboot the MAC. (this is old habit, you could click on the renew DHCP lease button)

After reboot, check your connection status on the menu bar, see if your network has a check by it, if not check it. Had issue with this staying all the time initially also, but now it is auto.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, something kind of worked, but i still cant get on the internet.

Now in the network status area. it says :

ethernet adapter (en2) is currently active and has the ip address 192.168.1.1. you are connected to the internet via ethernet adapter (en2).

But when i go to safari to open the internet it says:

You are not connected to the internet.

Still need help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, looks like it is connected to the router,

Have you set the nic to connect to your local network and put in the key (have you had the pop up selection to choose which network you want to use)?
To check what network you are on, go to About this Mac - More Info
Go down to the Network section and highlight your card, the right hand pane will tell you which network you are connected to

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you set the nic to connect to your local network and put in the key (have you had the pop up selection to choose which network you want to use)?[/QUOTE

In my system preferences, under "other" is the icon for "ZydasWLan" i click on that and it shows the available networks. I click on mine and then click "connect to this site"... nothing happens. What key are you talking about.

In "about this mac" i go down to network and then click on my ethernet adapter. how do i know if it is connected.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once you click on your adapter in "about this Mac" you should have something like the following in the right hand pane which will list the current network:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme
Wireless Card Locale: USA
Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.0.46
Current Wireless Network: Wa32Q7g5k9a
Wireless Channel: 11

The key being your WEP or WPA encryption key set on the router if you have secured your network.
If you don't know what the key is and have never had to put your encryption key into your other wireless connections, you are probably running an unsecured network and won't need the key on this one either.

I did find a guide for Zydas, maybe better than one you have, (about 15 pages) it's on FTP site, easiest way for you to get there is google search for ZydasWLan, it will be the first link.

I am about at the end of what I know to do without having your computer sitting in front of me. Anyone else???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
ill bet a virtual beer that restarting both your computer and your router will solve the problem....if not, i guess im out a virtual beer
-chris

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
looks like you are out of virtual beer. no luck.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
still no luck... Anyone have any advice

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you have any encryption set on the router like WEP, WPA, etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
It is the IP address that is causing the problem, and now the device has taken the router's gateway address.

To set up any computer wirelessly, you need to firstly set up the routers wireless configuration panel - the ONLY way to do this is to use an ethernet wire from the said computer to the router.

Assign an SSID (wireless network name) and set up the encryption. Make sure the encryption you set up is compatible with the adapter. For instructions on setting the wireless router configuration up refer to your router's manual.

Once that is set up, close down your system. Then take out the ethernet wire on the computer, and plug in your adapter. Reboot the router.

Now boot up the computer and go to your ADAPTER'S configuration file (not the router configuration) and key in the SSID you want it to connect to, (the one you chose) and the encryption key you used. For example, if you chose WPA and assigned a personal password or phrase such as "apples are great" you need to choose WPA from the adapter's configuration panel and then type "apples or great" (or whatever phrase you chose) in the device's configuration settings.

It should now connect within a few seconds. BEFORE doing ANY of the above, completely RESET (not restart) your router and set it up with your isp details. Once you have your internet connection again, then do the above.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
VERY good call Kyomii! I saw that too but got sidetracked and forgot to post. That is the routers gateway address!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I previously had no encryption. I was using an unsecured network. All the wireless laptops work. Except for the one in question. I tried what you said and it still comes up with a self assigned ip address and will not connect to my network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
How many wireless devices are connected to the router? Do you know how many wireless devices the router allows? (For instance, mine allows 6)

What IP addy range have you in your router? What are the details showing for the usb device in sys prefs? (network)

Do you have any P2P sofware running on any of the computers?

Is the USB device listed in the firewall and is it ticked or unticked?

Reaction score
I previously had no encryption. I was using an unsecured network. All the wireless laptops work. Except for the one in question. I tried what you said and it still comes up with a self assigned ip address and will not connect to my network.

Alright. I have the zydas too. When it says that it has a self-assigned IP address, and won't work, that means that you're NOT successfully connected to the router. Mine typically does this if I enter the wrong WEP. make sure WEP is off. Uninstall the device, and search in the finder under macintosh HD, just type in zydas in the search box. look for some configuration file, it should look something like: tw.com.zydas etc etc. with a .plist extension. delete this file, and reinstall the device. then restart, with it plugged in. then, do everything over from there.
let me know if i was unclear on something

-brant

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright. I have the zydas too. When it says that it has a self-assigned IP address, and won't work, that means that you're NOT successfully connected to the router. Mine typically does this if I enter the wrong WEP. make sure WEP is off. Uninstall the device, and search in the finder under macintosh HD, just type in zydas in the search box. look for some configuration file, it should look something like: tw.com.zydas etc etc. with a .plist extension. delete this file, and reinstall the device. then restart, with it plugged in. then, do everything over from there.
let me know if i was unclear on something

-brant

I had a feeling it was something to do with the Zydas or the driver for the Zydas. Sounds good. Hope he comes back and sees your message.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.