12 Hours to do a virus Scan?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Ok so my mac pro is still pretty slow at doing things... but i wont go into this as i cant get to the root of the problem.

I decided to do a virus scn overnight and 12 hours later.. its still doing it.

I have taken a screenshot, its found something but i dunno what it is and it been sat in the same position for a while now

My hard drive is 160GB (the one i was scanning) and is about 60%-70% full

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Looks like it's found a phishing email - ie one that appears to be from a reputable company, but if you click through on the links, it'll lead to a bluff site which will try to get you to enter your personal details.

(This isn't a virus as such, and won't harm your Mac.)

Out of interest, why are you doing a virus scan? Given there aren't any for the Mac in the wild, it's very considerate to your PC-owning friends who might be infected if you were to email them something, but a bit of a waste of effort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
ClamXav is extremely slow and taxing on your processor, just how it is. I've never tired an actual (pay) virus protection software but I would imagine they are faster.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
reason im doing a scan is because since i have had this mac there has been nothing but problems. apps crashing, being really really slow, doing strange things. i think im gonna wait til leopard comes out and do a fresh install with leopard and see if that fixes things

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
reason im doing a scan is because since i have had this mac there has been nothing but problems. apps crashing, being really really slow, doing strange things. i think im gonna wait til leopard comes out and do a fresh install with leopard and see if that fixes things
Try repairing permissions and the disk (the latter must be done when booted from the restore CD that came with you Mac.)

Reaction score
12 Hours to scan it, that seemes just a little too much. I use ClamXav and it takes about 2 hrs to complete my HD about 120GB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
run memtest, i had a problem with my system memory when apps would crash. I replaced the memory and it worked fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I don't think it took 12 hours. I think it froze after awhile. Try repairing disk permissions as listed above and try again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.