won't boot when iPod connected

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB RAM
G'Day
I just got a new Macbook Pro, and I have abit of a problem.
When my iPod is connected and I turn it on, it gets stuck at the grey screen (without the Apple or spinning loader).
Is this normal or is there something I have to change?
Thanks alot,
Eddy

T

todd51

Hmm...I don't have much experience with Macs yet, but I'm thinking that it may be searching for an OS on the iPod. Does it boot up fine without the iPod connected?

Does the iPod work fine when your MBP is already booted?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB RAM
Yes and yes.
I thought that was the case, just don't know how to fix it.

Reaction score
So the grey screen is on the iPod? If it's on your MBP then it seems that it's a Kernal Panic but you say your Mac is new so that would be out of the ordinary ...

Reaction score
Is your iPod connected using FireWire? If so make sure it isn't set as the startup disk in System Preferences.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB RAM
It's connected via USB. Kernel panic? Would that just be caused due to foreign hardware or what?
Cheers

Reaction score
So iEddy, your issue is that if you have your iPod connected to your new MacBook Pro - the MBP boots to a grey screen only ... but if you don't have your iPod connected when you boot your MBP, the MBP boots properly with no grey screen problems AND if you then connect the iPod it is recognised by your MBP and also functions properly... ??

Do I have it right?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB RAM
Yes that is correct.
cheers

Reaction score
I would really suggest ejecting your iPod prior to shutting down your MacBook Pro. Also, wait until your MBP has fully booted until you connect your iPod.

If the grey screen issue persists, post back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.