Review: Verizon Wireless v640 Express EVDO Card

Reaction score
I don't seem to see too many reviews on this site. I have to say for a group of people that want to turn people to their cause you sure make it hard :bushman:

Anyway. I just received my Verizon Wireless v640 EVDO card from a guy off of eBay ($185 delivered)

Anyway I just activated it and did three test from the nearest location (Los Angelenos)

Anyway, here are the results: ( I did them from speakeasy)

Not bad :)

So I recommend it.

It gets... 5 Burnt pieces of toasts! Top Honors.

FYI: I want to give it 4 Burnt pieces but I cannot fault the equipment for the price of the service.

Picture 4.jpg

Picture 5.jpg

Picture 6.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
sweet, i was under the impression that no mac could run these as they did not have supported drivers at all...what machine are you using this on? and are you using supported drivers or odd 3rd party ones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook AL G4 15", MacBook Pro 15", Dual G4 1.25, Wallstreet 292, Cube DualG4 1.4
sweet, i was under the impression that no mac could run these as they did not have supported drivers at all...what machine are you using this on? and are you using supported drivers or odd 3rd party ones?

We've sold and supported the V640 for MacBook Pro's for months now. Our price is $80 less than verizon store has them for. The v640 can actually run with Apple drivers built into OSX 10.4.7 and most have found the built in drivers to be faster than the VZAccess Manager that verizon ships out with each V640. Check out this forum thread:

Mac OS X 10.4.7 vs. VZAccess, Speed Comparisons

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook AL G4 15", MacBook Pro 15", Dual G4 1.25, Wallstreet 292, Cube DualG4 1.4
FYI, Verizon Rev-A is out there

The V640 is a Rev-0 device. That means it can only take advantage of 1st generation EVDO speeds, much like deathtotoasters speeds reported above.

But Verizon has already rolled out the 2nd generation "Rev-A" network in some cities, which provides for faster speeds than are possible on Rev-0. For an idea of where Verizon's Rev-A can be found, and the incredible speeds being reported (like 2000+ kbps downloads!) check out our new google mashup at http://EVDOmaps.com

Rev-0 devices like the V640 are not upgradeable to Rev-A, because they need an entirely different chipset. There will be a Rev-A expresscard for MacBook Pro's but it may be a few more weeks yet.

That said, we are taking backorders on Verizon's new Rev-A USB720 which will work with any Mac running OSX 10.3.9 and above, and has an available USB port.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
I noticed that the mbp found and had drivers installed.

When it comes to the phone number settings, since i purchased it used it has the persons info in it. Do i just change it to mine?

Glad you chimed in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
I just ordered the USB720. I am juiced up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I might consider this when I get my MB later in the year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.