Imac G4 question, opinion???

Reaction score
hi everyone,

i recently made the switch to mac about 2 months ago and i now own a macbook pro c2d. i wish i made the switch a few years ago when the imac g4's were out.

my question is, is the imac g4 still worth getting? i love the design of that model. it looks so cool to me. i've been seeing them on ebay, i'm not sure if i should pull the trigger or not. what's the going price for a 17"?

I have always wanted one, but is it too late? is it too outdated already? i really wouldn't mind having a desktop. i wish they kept that design with the current imacs. anyways, your comments will be greatly appreciated, and if i posted in the wrong area, i'm sorry. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
In my opinion, they are overpriced. I think people are paying more for them as collector's items than for sensible use. I agree, they are totally sweet looking, but I don't think the performance weighs up to the cost.

They are outdated to a certain extent. If you tried to put Tiger on it, you would probably be dissapointed by its performance. After using a MacBook, a G4 iMac would probably just dissapoint you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I agree with Jeff, they are outdated, and are becoming like the Cubes. More of a novalty item. I wouldn't mind having one though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Note: I like how I recommend not buying a G4 iMac, but then again last week I went out and bought a Cube and a Sawtooth G4. I know what it is like to get gouged on a collector's Mac (Cube).

OP
J
Reaction score
so what you guys are saying is the imac g4 is more of a collectors item? hmm... i wish i had just gotten 2 years ago. i went with a hp laptop that died on me a couple months ago. that's why i finally switched to mac, and now i am so interested in anything apple.

jeff, you don't recommend me buying it, yet it seems like you are saying i should go out and get gouges too. lol!

how much do you guys think i should pay for 17" with >1ghz and >512ram >80gb? what's too much? i did a completed listing on ebay, and the prices vary. i just don't want overspend for old hardware. thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I didn't word that well. I meant that I am willing(not happily, but willing) to get gouged, but I don't recommend that other people do it. I am interested more for the collector's side than for functionality. I wanted a Cube so bad ever since they came out. The Cube was part of a lot on eBay, so I had to buy a PowerMac G4 too. I'll probably just give it to the parents.

Part of what makes the prices so jumbled up on eBay is the shipping and what is included. There are lots of people that are out to make a profit on what you pay for shipping. They may charge you $75, and it might cost them $40. People will also pay more if there are more things included. Also watch out for things that need repair. You have to read the descriptions carefully. I've gotten ripped on that one before.

Take this high doallar auction vs. this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
if you want an iMac then get a g5 off ebay (or any other site) or an intel imac - great things !

the g4's are becoming as others have said, of a collectors item and arent really worth much in the work space or play space. !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
I guess I didn't word that well. I meant that I am willing(not happily, but willing) to get gouged, but I don't recommend that other people do it. I am interested more for the collector's side than for functionality. I wanted a Cube so bad ever since they came out. The Cube was part of a lot on eBay, so I had to buy a PowerMac G4 too. I'll probably just give it to the parents.

Part of what makes the prices so jumbled up on eBay is the shipping and what is included. There are lots of people that are out to make a profit on what you pay for shipping. They may charge you $75, and it might cost them $40. People will also pay more if there are more things included. Also watch out for things that need repair. You have to read the descriptions carefully. I've gotten ripped on that one before.

Take this high doallar auction vs. this one.

good finds of those ebay items.

a lot of gear on the first lot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.