• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I have officially lost all faith I had in eBay...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
there not actually selling the iphone, they are just selling the email adress. thats pretty sad, but if someone wants it they will buy it

OP
D3v1L80Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
there not actually selling the iphone, they are just selling the email adress. thats pretty sad, but if someone wants it they will buy it
Oh, I am well aware of that.
But they way they list it, they are actively trying to dupe someone into thinking it is an actual iPhone.
Listings like that should simply get pulled and not even be allowed to run

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
yea, i know what you mean, i got duped by one of this things before. it was so sad, i felt so ashamed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

Although they've been very careful with the "small print" I agree these posts should be banned immediately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I saw somebody spend 2000 for a PowerBook G4 box once

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
That's what happened with the XBox 360 when it first came out. I know some sellers were banned (which was good) but guess they can't get them all. It's crazy what some people will do! Irk's me too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
That is bad!

Suggestion: Use the 'report this item' option at the bottom of the page. There is an option for counterfeits & Copyright Violations > Potential Trademark Infringements > Unfortunately there is no suitable 3rd choice - however using Other Replica or Counterfeit Item will be enough to flag this to eBay attention. I believe the 'dodgy' items can only be picked up by eBay when someone in the eBay community alerts them to a problem - once alerted they will get someone to take a look.

The 3rd option might not be the best as they are not actually selling the phone, however as stated; the text used suggests that the reason to buy this email address (one reason) is to make others believe that you are a genuine seller. As people know - Apple doesn't take the improper use of it's trademarks too lightly so perhaps eBay will be quick to remove the listing once they have been alerted to a potential problem.

Gmail program policies:
Prohibited Actions

In addition to (and/or as some examples of) the violations described in Section 3 of the Terms of Use, users may not:

* Sell, trade, resell or otherwise exploit for any unauthorized commercial purpose or transfer any Gmail account

I wonder if there is a way to report the email account to Google?

Also; what proof would you have that they own this email address?

T

todd51

I don't trust Ebay at all anymore. I have bought some t-shirts one time that never came. The guy selling them cashed the money order and unregsitered his name, called Ebay and they said they couldn't do anything about it. :(...good thing it was only like 11 dollars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
That was like me.. I paid something like $35 USD plus shipping for a wireless bridge for my Xbox, and I paid literally seconds after it ended... Here I am 6 months later without my bridge.. eBay didn't do anything, and we had the proof that we paid and everything!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Caveat Emptor.......

T

todd51

Yea, I did buy a TV once off of eBay and got it pretty fast, you just have to be really careful from who you buy from, I still don't buy off of eBay unless it's my last resort to get something. I don't usually care how much cheaper it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Only once was I scammed on eBay, between them and Capitol One Visa I got all of my money back. I still use it but I'm very very careful, and of course if it sounds too good to be true, well you know the rest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
Hey Guys, does anyone/anything screen or filter their postings for obvious nonsense items? It seems like they dont do this at all. I want to purchase a couple of items on ebay but am way paranoid about the cruddy system.
-d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
look at the user, if they have a high positive rep, then i wouldnt worry. i dont buy stuff from people with less then 600 positive reps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
look at the user, if they have a high positive rep, then i wouldnt worry. i dont buy stuff from people with less then 600 positive reps.

Ouch, I've been a seller/buyer since 1998, I have 148 - 100% positive transactions so I guess you would not be buying from me.

Reaction score
Ouch, I've been a seller/buyer since 1998, I have 148 - 100% positive transactions so I guess you would not be buying from me.

I only have a little over 200, so I guess I am out of the question also.

eBay is great for finding odd stuff and products that are no longer sold new anywhere. I never really saw it as a place to get good deals on new products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
I have 100% positive, but have only sold about 10 items. I do everything in my power to make it pleasant, but the whole eBay system makes it too easy to mess something up and screw your rep. I sell a few things on there, but I never buy from there because there are soooooo many scams.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
I know a guy who sold a laptop for like 1k on ebay. The buyer paid through paypal. The transaction went smoothly. However, after a couple of months, he recieved a 'chargeback' from paypal. Apparently, the buyer claimed he never recieved the product even though the tracking number provided by UPS said it was delivered. So the seller was left without a laptop, and with a chargeback of 1k that he will most likely have to pay back to paypal if this is not settled.
He is fighting the claim, but it's been about 6 weeks now.
I don't deal with online auctions at all. Except for the Auction House in World of Warcraft.
Geeky, I know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.