iBook decision - 900MHz G3 vs. current models

M

mkgordon

Greetings, all!

I'd appreciate any comments on the cost/benefit considerations I should keep in mind in choosing between the following laptops:

iBook G3/900MHz vs. iBook G4/933MHz (both 14 inch models)

Assume that I would max out the RAM on either (640MB), and that I would install Airport on one and Airport Extreme on the other, as well as install a 60GB hard drive and opt for the Combo drive.

If I buy the G3 iBook, I can save about $450 over the G4 iBook. (Both of these options would be new purchases, with Panther installed.)

MacReviewZone says the following in comparing the G3/900 and the G4/800 12" models:

"G4 iBook has longer battery life, slightly faster System Bus, . . ., better graphics system, slot loading optical drive, optional Bluetooth, dramatically faster USB ports, faster optional wireless networking (Airport). "

http://snipurl.com/G3900vsG4800

My question is, would there be enough of a performance improvement/feature set in the G4 iBook to justify spending the extra cash? I've been told that the G3/900, because of its larger L2 cache, turns in a sufficiently powerful performance that the extra money for the G4 iBook isn't really worth spending.

Does the fact that the G3 iBook can be booted in either OS9 or OSX matter that much?

I am not a heavy-duty user. I plan to use the iBook for DVD watching, web browsing, emailing, word-processing, synching with my Palm PDA, synching with my iPod and maybe getting into digital photography. However, I do find that, over time, the uses to which I put my computer tend to expand.

I would appreciate your suggestions.

Mike
Toronto

OP
C

Chamorro

mkgordon said:
"G4 iBook has longer battery life, slightly faster System Bus, . . ., better graphics system, slot loading optical drive, optional Bluetooth, dramatically faster USB ports, faster optional wireless networking (Airport). "

My question is, would there be enough of a performance improvement/feature set in the G4 iBook to justify spending the extra cash? I've been told that the G3/900, because of its larger L2 cache, turns in a sufficiently powerful performance that the extra money for the G4 iBook isn't really worth spending.

Does the fact that the G3 iBook can be booted in either OS9 or OSX matter that much?

I am not a heavy-duty user. I plan to use the iBook for DVD watching, web browsing, emailing, word-processing, synching with my Palm PDA, synching with my iPod and maybe getting into digital photography. However, I do find that, over time, the uses to which I put my computer tend to expand.

I would appreciate your suggestions.

1st off - I'm voting for the G4 model...the MacReivewzone quote sums it up for me. OS X, and a lot of OS X-native apps, run better on G4's than on similar-speed G3's. Plus, more software is being written to take advantage of the G4's architecture. The graphics and the USB 2.0 are BIG advantages as well, even if they don't seem to be right now.
As far as OS9 booting, that all depends on how you'll use your iBook. By the sound of it, you shouldn't need to boot into OS9.
One word of caution about future expandability: the 640MB RAM ceiling may start "holding you down" before the other features of either iBook....but I'm spoiled w/ 1+GB. For the uses you listed, 640 is good.
On a final note, if you plan to keep your iBook 'til it's either dead or useless...go for the G4. If this is a short-term computer, go cheaper & save up for a future 'Book.

OP
P

PC HATER

if money is a problem then stick with the g3, with that keep in mind that apple is probably going to attempt to drop the g3 all together considering all of their computers are g4 and up so that may becaome a problem. as far as the g4 proccesor is so much faster anyway,but it is all really up to you.

OP
R

ravenstor

why buty outdated technology it will always cost you more in the long run.

i run a g4 ibook and the university ones are g3s, my g4 performs much better and i would hope so too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
g4 ALL THE WAY

Well.. I'll save you the time if you haven't made the decision yet. GET THE G4!!!! I bought the g3 model and I'm regretting it to this moment.

It gets most of the job done... but the performance is horrible. Even after "renicing..." I can't play flash or java smoothly... and it's quite sad. If you have the money, GO FOR THE g4! You'll thank yourself later. Dont' be fooled by the numbers. 900mhz g3 aint' nothing to a 800mhz g4.

Hope this helps. If you need more examples, I'll be glad to share...

OP
V

vjamacaddict

iBook G3 or G4 ??

mpeters13 said:
Well.. I'll save you the time if you haven't made the decision yet. GET THE G4!!!! I bought the g3 model and I'm regretting it to this moment.

It gets most of the job done... but the performance is horrible. Even after "renicing..." I can't play flash or java smoothly... and it's quite sad. If you have the money, GO FOR THE g4! You'll thank yourself later. Dont' be fooled by the numbers. 900mhz g3 aint' nothing to a 800mhz g4.

Hope this helps. If you need more examples, I'll be glad to share...

I too am considering purchasing an iBook G3 or G4. I have found several good deals on the iBook G3 900Mhz 14" -- My use will mostly be word processing with MW 8.0 (Office 98), some light graphics using the old Graphic Converter and GIF Converter (will they even run on the iBook G4?), some DVD movies, some e-mail and web browsing, and some older educational software, and family history (Reunion 6, which I'm afraid may not run on the iBook G4).

I can't afford to buy all new software, and need to continue my research (mostly family history). I'm also concerned about being able to transfer hundreds of important MW documents for research, and thousands of important e-mail (from Eudora 5.1.1).

Any comments/suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

-- vjamacaddict

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
G4, It is time IMHO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
you could easily upgrade the g3 with a few peripherals to match the g4. there are usb connected wireless adapters that connect up to 54mbps. you can also get a blue tooth adapter. you can get a multi usb hub too. its up to you though. i am getting a g3 in the mail and i am going to do a few of these suggested things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
go with the g4......

unless u don't plan on using newer software. i am pretty sure the g3 will be phased out and at the present time g4 is as old as you want to go for apple technology.

however, the g3 can still do the job if you are not looking to do a lot of stuff.

i am using a g4 and am still happy with the performance. i find it just fast enough for what i do and wouldn't recommend anything less. i'm pretty confident i can continue to use my computer for 2 more years easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
If you notice, the original thread was from 2004, so the G4 iBook was probably brand new at that time. Who replies to a 3 year old thread? :mad: :mad:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.