problems after HD replacement

Reaction score
I just took my iBook (G4, 12", 1GHz) to get a new internal hard drive installed at repair shop where they seemed confident that they new what they were doing. And now that I have it back its not working very well

1. Doesnt start up most of the time I press the power button, but eventually I can get it on using patience, or sometimes by smacking it... Also has powered down of its own accord a few times.

2. USB ports dont seem to work although they do have power

3. Airport Extreme does show up in any of the network preferences

and probably some other things I havent encountered yet.

Any ideas whats going on? Have some idiots just made a complete mess of the most expensive thing I own? What can be done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I just took my iBook (G4, 12", 1GHz) to get a new internal hard drive installed at repair shop where they seemed confident that they new what they were doing. And now that I have it back its not working very well

1. Doesnt start up most of the time I press the power button, but eventually I can get it on using patience, or sometimes by smacking it... Also has powered down of its own accord a few times.

2. USB ports dont seem to work although they do have power

3. Airport Extreme does show up in any of the network preferences

and probably some other things I havent encountered yet.

Any ideas whats going on? Have some idiots just made a complete mess of the most expensive thing I own? What can be done?

take it back to the repair shop and tell them to fix what they messed up.. they must have some type of warranty? If they tell you to pound sand tell the you want a refund.

Reaction score
Damm I'll be damm if a shop did some work for me and it didn't work. Bring that you mac back and tell them to fix or get a refund. If they don't give your a refund report them to the BBB. What is the name of the shop so we all don't make the mistake of taking our precious mac's to that shop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8GB iPhone 3G / PowerMac G4 Dual 450 MHz 80GB 256MB / 30GB 5G iPod Black
If you paid for the repair with a credit card, tell them you're going to dispute teh charge if they don't fix it. Then you hold the cards.

OP
tospasto
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. In case anyone is wondering heres an update:

I took it back to the shop and had a bit of a shout at them and got my service charge back with out much fuss, they insisted they could fix it but I wasnt so keen to let them at it again given my suspicions that it was their fault. I made the journey to an Apple Store to meet a 'genius' who said most likely its a logic board problem (as I feared) but he couldnt say for certain. Logic board replacement is £500 (new MacBook = £750). So I took it back to the original shop, told them what he said, and they said they can fix it still. So although i don't really believe them, I'll let them try for a bit before I give up on it.

I can't really expect them to pay anything beyond the refund for the damage given that there is no evidence besides my word that these problems didnt already exist, but I might try anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.