Noob - Help Installing Network Printer

Reaction score
I just got my MacBook Pro 4 days ago! Long time Windows Programmer. Not getting much sleep and loving it.

I have a home network and a Canon s9000 Printer shared on a windows machine. I downloaded the S9000 driver from Canon and installed it. Then brought up the pinter in system prefs. Found my printer OK, but I can;t seem to find the S9000 driver in the list. It defalts to generic post script.

How do I do this the right way???

Oh and by the way, this forum has been a huge help learning a new OS!!!

Richard S Albrecht

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Canon actually has a driver for OS X for the S9000.

Go here and click the drivers link.

OP
H
Reaction score
I did. Problem is it doesn't show up in the list of Canon printers.

Is there something else I have to do after installing the print driver to make it show up?

Rich

Reaction score
good luck

I am watching these "printing to XP printers" threads, because so far I haven't been able to make it work with my MBP, and most of the recommendations I have received seem like pretty lame solutions.

If I have to install extra software on the Windoze PC that is sharing a printer on the LAN, I don't think that's a satisfactory solution. If I have to hook a printer to my laptop, what the h#ll is the point of having a laptop?

I may end up buying a dedicated network print server that I can move one of my printers to, so all my XP and Mac computers can print to it.

OP
H
Reaction score
I'm going to call Canon and see what they say. There has to be something missing in the equation.

Are you a Converted windows guy like me?

Richard S Albrecht

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
I just bought a HP Deskjet 6980. It has built in ethernet and 802.11x wireless. I have my MBP and a XP laptop printing to it wirelessly with no problems. It was the best purchase I have made outside of the MBP itself. I would HIGHLY recommend this printer to anyone for mac or PC.

OP
H
Reaction score
I already have a Canon S9000 and it works great, at least from my PCs!:radioacti

Reaction score
This issue has been discussed more than once in the past; if you do a search you'll find a long string of switchers who cannot find their printer drivers. One of these days I'm going to bring the stupid MBP into the Genius Bar and have them show me where my drivers live.

I know they're on the computer, because both of the printers I'm having problems with (Epson PhotoMate Deluxe and Epson R260) work fine when plugged into the computer via USB cable.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm going to call Canon and see what they say. There has to be something missing in the equation.

Are you a Converted windows guy like me?

Richard S Albrecht

Converted windows guy - Yes

I had a fairly nice Canon printer and scanner when I bought my MBP also. I had been playing around with Linux (again) for a few months prior to getting the MBP and Canon did not have available drivers for Linux nor OS X. I was able to get both working with Gimp-print drivers in Linux but lost many of the additional features I had with them in windows.

Therefore, (and after reading the forum here for a week or so prior to getting my MBP), decided with the investment of the MBP it was time to get a printer that was making not only drivers, but also their software for different platforms and network capable rather than having to be tied to an individual machine. Also, promised myself never again to buy any windows only hardware unless it was my only option. Maybe I should say, any OS specific hardware. Never even tried to get that Canon working on my MBP. Went out and got a network printer (HP 5180, last years model so price had dropped $100 also). Have it hardwired to the router, and think it was a great hardware decision.

In these days, where many of us have not only multiple computers, but multiple OS's, and multiple users in the house, think a networked printer with multiple OS capabilities supported by the manufacturer is the only way to go.

You hear that manufacturers, you can't make your device work in whichever OS I might want to connect it to, you're not getting any $$$$ from me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.