• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Half-Life 2 benchmark for Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
For anyone who cares, I recently switched from a Core Duo to a Core 2 duo Macbook. They have exactly the same specs except for a 120 GB HDD vs. an 80 GB HDD. The change in fps on HL2 was very interesting.

Specs:
Blacbook
2.0 GHz Core 2 duo
120 GB HDD
64MB (shows up as 256MB on Windows (???)) integrated graphics

Average fps for the opening scene up to the departure from Barney:
CD- 25
C2D- 34

Average fps for Lost Coast
CD-18
C2D-28

Average fps for most other indoor/enclosed levels
CD-37
C2D-46

Fairly interesting eh? I didn't expect such a huge jump. I'm going to upgrade to 2GB RAM here soon so I'll repost with those benchmarks. For some reason Counter Strike Source does not have a very good average fps, I'm talking like 8. But in the test (available in the CSS menu, I get about 50. Strange Problem. Also Garry's Mod runs at about 50-60. No problems there. Although when running in Direct X level 8.1, the sky gets really glitchy. I still don't have an answer as to how to fix that except to simply run it in DX level 7 mode (add "-dxlevel 70" to the target line) Hope this helps the HL2 fans!

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I assume you're running under Windows Bootbcamp?

Didn't you also say your previous Core Duo had problems, intermittemt RAM issues and slowness? So the benchmarks might not reflect the difference between a C2D and a CD, but between a working Macbook and one that clearly had problems?

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Yes I am running under bootcamp. And yes, the old one did have some issues. My only suggestion to that is that my roommate had the same setup with a seemingly issueless macbook and got about the same results, haha. So I think the original CD fps rates are accurate. I also took these before my problems started showing up (last October I think?) and kept them for personal use, But what you said is certainly something to consider.

Trent out

Reaction score
I didn't realize the integrated graphics card was good enough to play Half Life 2! Can I run HL2 on my core 2 duo 2ghz macbook with 2 gigs ram?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You should have no problem with it.

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yep, sure can. Just dual boot to windows, download steam, download Hl2 and you're off. The only kicker is that autosaving crashes the game. To fix this, open the developer console and type in "sv_autosave 0" There is also a way to make it so it never autosaves and this involves modifying 4 different files. You'll have to google how to do that. If you do wish to save, just do it the normal way while you are in game. Sometimes it crashes the game, but it ALWAYS saves the game and then you can just restart and load where you saved. Little bit annoying, but having portable HL2 is great. I've also tried Flatout 2 recently. I was disappointed in the Lag until I took the screen resolution from 1200 x 800 to 1024 x 768. Made all the difference in the world. Fun game.

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
does auto-save crash the game with just the MB, or does it do it with every mac?

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it happens on macbooks and minis. Anything with an integrated graphics card seems to have that problem. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Trent out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.