how to view temporary internet files

Reaction score
how do i view temporary internet files. like in windows you right click C drive... sry mac newbie here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This is a rather general question, and I suspect that it is specific to the application you are using. Is this a browser related question? Please let us know which browser you are using if that is the case and we can help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes I'd like to know how do do this too in 10.4 for Safari and Firefox. As the way I used in 10.3 won't work anymore in 10.4.

I know in 10.3 I used to do a hard drive search for "tmp" and look for hidden files only. And one of the hidden files with tmp in it was the one. tmp0000 or something if I remember correctly.

Reaction score
And one of the hidden files with tmp in it was the one.
You might find that tmp file with the free app EasyFind.

Spotlight turned up 527 files — folders and documents — looking for tmp. But EasyFind turned up 598 with File Contents turned on, along with Invisible Files & Folders.

With File Contents off, but Files & Folders on along with invisible Files & Folders, EasyFind made 664 hits. With Package Contents turned on, it made 680 hits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
The term "Temporary Internet Files" on Windows means Internet Explorer's cache.

If it's indeed Safari's cache what you're looking for,
then you'll find it at
/Users/[your account name]/Library/Caches/Safari

But unlike Internet Explorer's cache,
the files do not retain their real file names (I assume, for security purposes)
and you cannot open the files and view them.

note:
As for Firefox's cache, it should be at
/Users/[your account name]/Library/Caches/Firefox/Profiles/[random characters].default/Cache

The files do not retain their file names either;
however, if you drag them into Firefox, they can be opened.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
remain's got it right. i looked for this too when switching. they're not as easily accessible as they were on windows (C:\documents and settings\[username]\something-something).

Reaction score
I am looking for the tmp files so I can free up the memory, the way I do at work on the PC. Is it necessary on the Mac? How do I know what to delete if it doesn't do it for me?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.