• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problems using Mactheripper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have beeen trying to back up some of my dvd collection to stop it getting scratched e.t.c but keep running into problems.

I have tried using Mac the Ripper to rip The Constant Gardener & History of Violence, it seems to be working fine, but right at the end of the rip I get an error message saying it has found bad sectors, I then try and burn them to dvd in Popcorn, but the disc is either blank or plays only 2 random chapters?

Any help as I thought the Mac the Ripper & Popcorn or toast method was foolproof for backing up your collection?

I have tried DVDshrink on PC & it seems to work fine on that, so why so many problems on the mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
I'm having exatcly the same problems..

It takes a life to rip the movie to disk as a Video_TS folder, and in the end, there's a messagem telling me that the disk presented bad sectors, and it may not be playable. In fact, they were not.

Did you get over this issue?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All I can say is this without breaking Forum rules. That is the latest Copy Protection mostly by SONY. Talking about breaking that protection is against the law and so also against Forum rules, but that is why some DVD's are copying and some get the errors. They are bad sector errors which is part of the protection Scheme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
"Bad Sector errors mean one of several things. It's either 1) the disc is dirty, fixed by cleaning it, wiping from the center outwards; 2) the disc is damaged, either live with glitches during playback (improved with MTR 3.0), or find another copy of that movie; or 3) the disc is a recent release with RipGuard copy protection, and you need MTR 3.0 to handle it.

At this time, MTR 3.0 is still under development, and early access is being given to people who donate to support the project."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
All I can say is this without breaking Forum rules. That is the latest Copy Protection mostly by SONY. Talking about breaking that protection is against the law and so also against Forum rules, but that is why some DVD's are copying and some get the errors. They are bad sector errors which is part of the protection Scheme.

thought that ripping your own DVD's were by no means illegal...

So...is it possible to pass by this protection?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
thought that ripping your own DVD's were by no means illegal...

So...is it possible to pass by this protection?

Now the rules of the game are even if you own the DVD, you can not circumvent copy protection. That is why it's not allowed to be talked about here on the forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I think this thread has been adequately answered, so I will close it to prevent it turning into something that needs deleting.

If the Original Poster thinks that the question needs more answering PM me and I will reopen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.