Running out of space--HELP!

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm brand new here. Desperate problems call for the aid of a very competent forum, so here I am.

With almost every action I take on my imac, I keep getting these warning messages saying my startup disk is full. The problem has gotten so that I can no longer open half of the programs on my computer. I began deleting files (almost all of them are photo/video files from my digital camera) about a week ago when the warning messages about running out of disk space began popping up. The odd thing is, it seems like the more files I deleted, the more serious the problem of running out of space became. Shouldn't it be the other way around??

I don't have the money at this moment to buy more memory for my imac and I'm still basically confused as to why clearing off my harddrive of files doesn't alleviate the problem.

Here's my imac's configurations:

2 GHz Intel COre Duo Processor, 512 MB of Memory and 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Is there some other steps I should be taking to alleviate this problem other than deleting all of these files?

Thanks very, very much for any advice you can share.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
This is probably a stupid question, but are you emptying the trash can as you go?

Reaction score
Don't forget that iPhoto and iMovie have their own trash so if you use those programs a lot and delete stuff, you need to empty their trash too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
like the others said remember to empty ALL the trash cans as you go. also how big is the hrd drive ?

do you mean ram or hd space ?

im assuming hd space - try an external hd (cheap these days) or writing the files you dont use often like old pics or vid to a dvd for storage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.