Need help w/ iMac G3

Reaction score
Hello, I have an iMac G3 that has a problem. When I turn it on--after it boots up to the desktop--the wristwatch icon appears that tells me to wait. I can leave it sit for up to half an hour, and it still sits there with the wristwatch ticking away and it hasn't done anything. What is wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Ok, try booting up from your install discs, the once you are booted up, turn off your extensions and boot from the HD.

OP
ericgh
Reaction score
One problem though...I do not have the install discs. I got the computer from a friend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 dual 1.8 / G4 Dual 867 / iBook G3
You could try zapping the PRAM ( Apple + Alt(option) + P + R ) and let mac chime for about 4 to 5 times , but without the OS disks or without Tech Tool its hard to diag the problem, I would run disk first aid, but i think again you need to run that from the OS CD.

Booting up and pressing and holding down SHIFT will boot mac without extensions, then you can goto Extension Manager and either load a default set in, or turn a few off

OP
ericgh
Reaction score
Adrian, I tried what you suggested, but all it did was give me a bomb message.

OP
ericgh
Reaction score
Nevermind, I fixed the problem myself. It turns out there was a AOL disc stuck in the drive that wouldn't load. Thanks for all the great advice!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.