Hello, My Name is DeathtoToasters and I am a Windows-A-Holic...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yup, my first email access to the world was via BBS. Dial up modem, 14.4 kbps access... the good (?) old days? :)

Gotcha beat - I had a 300baud serial modem on a C=64 ;)

In some ways, I miss the BBS days. Things were very local and not so overwhelming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Neat post and welcome to the cult, now don't forget at 12:00 am sharp we all bow down to our Macs and do the OS-X chant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Wait wait wait cwa107, I may be able to improve on even that! When I was doing my Masters degree, I used to be able to bring home from the university what amounted to a teletype terminal, which had an audio coupler for a phone handset - you picked up your rotary dial phone, dialed the university computer center number and then placed your handset into the rubberized cradles on the back of the terminal. This coupled the audio signal into the device, and you were off and running... at a blazing 150 to 300 bps!! Not Kbps but just bps!!!

The sad part is, I thought it was pretty hot stuff at the time!

But then I am "long in the tooth" - my first programming exercises at university involved punch cards!

You and I are clearly veterans of the early computing scene! How things have changed. Now I used a computer rated in GHz at the end of a fiber loop (FiOS) running at 15 Mbps. That's a LONG way from teletypes and 300 baud!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Wait wait wait cwa107, I may be able to improve on even that! When I was doing my Masters degree, I used to be able to bring home from the university what amounted to a teletype terminal, which had an audio coupler for a phone handset - you picked up your rotary dial phone, dialed the university computer center number and then placed your handset into the rubberized cradles on the back of the terminal. This coupled the audio signal into the device, and you were off and running... at a blazing 150 to 300 bps!! Not Kbps but just bps!!!

The sad part is, I thought it was pretty hot stuff at the time!

But then I am "long in the tooth" - my first programming exercises at university involved punch cards!

You and I are clearly veterans of the early computing scene! How things have changed. Now I used a computer rated in GHz at the end of a fiber loop (FiOS) running at 15 Mbps. That's a LONG way from teletypes and 300 baud!

OK, you've got me there. I know of the audio/handset coupler, but I haven't ever seen one - except for maybe in WarGames. You've earned your gold star for the day! But now we get to call you "olde fart" (I mean that only in the most jovial of ways). :bomb:

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
Ok, I spend one day helping my wife all day because she is sick and what happens? This whole thread goes back to the stone ages!!

lol

I love it. Thanks for all the comments on the post, I do appreciate it. I think there is a market of people that would benefit from mac but need to be taught that they don't have to get on their knees and bow to northern California.

But there is one thing I must admit... that superbowl commercial in 1984 was great :)

On the subject of old equipment, I just was playing with my Mits Altair (oh wait....I WISH I had one :) )

I do have a original 8088 chip sitting on my desk at work. It cost me $5.00 on ebay.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time seeing what's going on in your avatar there. What am I missing?

With a username like DeathToToasters I just assumed you would have something Battlestar Gallactica related for your avatar!

Well BG does have that saying which is great...but I was using that saying for about a year before the show came back out.

If you are a fan of the Terminator movies, and then the books, you would recognize the saying. (Notice my sig)

The reason for Thanos pic is that I have used the username 'Thanos255' since Q-Link. I just started using DeathtoToasters about 2 years ago.

I am a LARGE collector of ANYTHING Thanos related. I have two original pieces of artwork from his creator Jim Starlin etc.

Anyway, I wil now update my sig with the best quote form Thanos ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
You missed your calling if you're not writing a book! If you ever did, I'd buy it. What a great post, thanks for the enjoyment.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Anyway, I wil now update my sig with the best quote form Thanos ever.

sometimes i feel like i'm missing part of people's personalities by having signatures turned off. but it just makes the board so much easier to read!

to me the avatar looks like turkeys and turtles at war. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
sometimes i feel like i'm missing part of people's personalities by having signatures turned off. but it just makes the board so much easier to read!

Eric, turn on signatures, gosh darnit =)

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score

Ok....I cannot even think of a comeback for that one....

Oh wait...at least I picked something bigger then a rodent :bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Intel Al duo core 2.4G -- 4G RAM
Amigas and OSX

Congrats on the switch!

Your posting brings back great memories of the C64 days.

OH the ecstacy of the very first time I ran THROUGH one of the robots on "Impossible Mission" game b/c I had altered the assembly code from LDA $DO1E to NOP NOP NOP! Yes, I became addicted!

It was the openeing of a new way of looking at computers for me - one I still find myself dabbling in. Granted, 8 bits were easier to twiddle than 16, but when the AMIGA came along, I was one wondering why in the world people would ever use a greenscreen-limited, non-multitasking, WOW-I-can-make-a-CIRCLE (GASP!)-in-my-drawing-program type machine when they could have 3D ray tracing on an AMIGA.

As the PC evolved, it still sadly lacked ability/friendliness. Even Mac platforms were B&W and had no concept of multitasking.

I was an AMIGA die-hard. The fact is they were way ahead of their time. In fact there is still something to be said for AMIGA when compared to my beloved OS X Tiger-equipped G4 1.25 Flat Panel (more later).

Time progressed - Windows got a whole 16 colors! AMiGA 100,000 virtual colors onscreen vs 16 - OK.

I was laughing when one of my friends was amazed when he could make his Windows machine say, "I'll be back." When, for years, I had used the "Chatterbox" freeware that had allowed assigning a voice/sound/music clip to any action I wanted on the AMIGA Workbench.

Virtual reality was introduced using the AMIGA b/c it had a dedicated graphics chip that could make real-time graphics. It always seemed the Windoze world took AMIGA nomenclature and applied it to their inferior tech. The result was most people hearing VR would, mistakenly, use the Windoze definition. AMIGA VR was the funny looking headset that put you into a virtual world to interact with characters in that world. Windows VR only a 3-D maze displayed onscreen. What angered me was that such a great game concept was killed in the US by the computer-making-powers-that-were. AMIGA VR was a hit in Europe. Europeans were a little more careful of how they spent money (since they do not have as much of it to go into hobbies, etc.) Europe was always ahead of the US in seeing tha value of the AMIGA.

Years pass... Steve introduced the "NEXT" machine. Using one, I was amazed at how much it's user-frienliness and GUI structure felt AMIGA-ish. I heard rumors Steve had seen the AMIGA and did some cloning. I am not sure of this. However, anyone who has used both systems will admit they are VERY much alike. The AMIGA even had "AmiDock" - a "dock" like the NEXT used.

OH NO! Commodore Busness Machines went under. Large, heavy shackles were then a part of my computing life. I was forced to step backwards 10-12 years in technology/user-frienliness/ease-of-use.

Hmmm...choose Apple or a Windoze.

I chose the Windoze platform over the Mac's-that-were. Mainly b/c I specifically was un-impressed with Apple at the time. Why? Because their Apple GS (was this the name?) was called the "AMIGA-killer" but fell flat on its face.

We had a person show up to demonstrate the AMIGA-killer it at our local AMIGA users group. AnAMIGA running the good ol' "Boing" demo was up front. The Apple owner (as he had come "prepared") put a duplicate of the demo on his Apple (with sort of a smug look on his face). We sped our Boing Ball up by hitting the numbers on the keyboard. He did the same on his. See? IApple has all the power an AMIGA does!

We then slid the front screen down to reveal the "Juggler" animation (a 3-D "person" juggling 3 mirrored balls [each keeping the proper reflection in them as they moved] running behind Boing; we then slid down this screen to reveal the "Robo-City" animation running behind both the other demos. The AMIGA-killer owner powered down and, without a word, walked out the door.

In 1998, my 7 Mhz AMIGA 500 on the internet spun circles around the lack of ability my "cuting edge" Windoze '98 at 350 Mhz could do. Dedicated chip set? What WERE the designers of the AMIGA thinking?

About 4 years ago (3?), I went to Best Buy as I needed to upgrade the Windoze machine. I laughed when the sales person asked, "Do you know what Multitasking means?" My wife rolled her eyes and groaned while jabbing me in the ribs (trying to get me to keep quiet). He asked why I laughed. To my wife's horror, I proceeded to tell the salesman that I most certainly DID know what multitasking meant - but I also knew he did NOT!" I explained the (re)invention of Windoze "Mul-tie-tasking" was not true "Mul- tee- tasking" as the original platform of the AMIGA had predated this "new" concept by over a decade. I went on to explain the custom chip set.

To further the point (wife now tugging at the elbow), and as a death blow to his idea that he DID know what multitasking was, I asked him what would happen to the speed of other running programs if he tried to format a floppy. His response, "of course," was that the machine would bog down until the formatting was over. I told him I had daisy chained 2 drives to my AMIGA and was using them (and the internal drive) to format a few boxes of disks - while using the word processor - AND without slowing the machine down. THIS, I said to him, was what "Mul-TEE-tasking" meant. Too bad he had missed the boat.

Fast forward a few years. I got the coolest looking computer I had ever seen - a ruby red iMac. Why? It looked more AMIGA-like with its GUI and I was hopeful. Speech recognition was a reality and I loved it.

The shackles lightened for a little time. Then the system crash came and put them right back on. I got tired of trying to get the machine to work properly again.

I was forced back into the Windoze world b/c of where I worked.

OS X - The new operating system - to teachers - for FREE???? ANYTHING to get me out of this insane world of Windoze! I got a white 500 Mhz iBook. At first, I really liked it ... felt like an AMIGA.

Hmm - a few links of the chains fell from off my hands (Clink, Clink!)!

Preferences in only one place (ooh - veryAMIGAlike - Clink, Clink).

Icons actually pop onscreen when I insert a disk (Clink, Clink)!

True (almost) Plug and Play - just like the AMIGA (Clink, Clink).

Crash! Fix. Crash! Fix. Crash! Re-install?! AAArrrgh - never heard the word in the AMIGA days. The shackles were lighter, but still there.

Back (horror in my mind at the thought) to Windoze for business again. Grrr - heavy shackles replaced.

I moved to a new location and was given a WINDOZE system for my desk. Finding just how inefficient Windoze is in networking situations put even more of a weight upon me. Oh how I longed for the good ol' AMIGA "It just works: days.

2 years of struggling - I was finally ready, no matter the pain, to get rid of this plague called Windoze.

Ebay helped with a great buy on an 800 flat panel (hey - if nothing else it was the coolest looking machine I had ever seen - this would help ease the pain!). Maybe OS X'[s ugs were gone!

(choir sining in background)
Hallelujah...Hallelujah...Hallelujah...

Need I say more? My shackles of so many years are gone! Tiger is like the AMIGA reborn. I admit I STILL wish they would design the machine around a set of dedicated chips (like one JUST for speech recognition - this would be truly amazing!). The AMIGA's chips were only 7 Mhz and it could do a real-time vuirtual walkthrough of a building - with a SINGLE-SPIN CD ROM drive. CCan you imagine what a true multitasking architecture would do with today's modern chip speeds?

As a side note - personally, I think if they used this approach of dedicated chips, tieds to a central CPU, that AI research would be a lot farther along than it is. This is a very simple model of the way the human brain works - so why not do it in a machine?

Anyway, for the first time in a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time my computing power is back (AMIGA cloned as NEXT, NEXT cloned as OS X)!

YES! BASH shell - and it uses UNIX commands - hmmmmm - seems to me I remember Arrex on the AMIGA looking something like this!

Hey - AmigaDOS commands and UNIX seem... like they fell off of the same tree - visionaries, those AMIGA people!

Thanks Steve - its fun once more...

Thanks Jay. The taste of the future you gave us back in the 80's was amazing. can you imagine how far we would be if the idea had stuck? Twenty years later the custom chip set has yet to be reborn...

but if you were still with us, I know you would also like Apple pie!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Dude, this thread is like nine months old....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, but I just registered the other day - I liked the thread so well I wanted to put in my two cents. it was a relaxing excercise after a lousy day at work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
yes, but I just registered the other day - I liked the thread so well I wanted to put in my two cents. it was a relaxing excercise after a lousy day at work.

Might be an old thread but very good info. Liked your post. Brought back so many memories of my Amiga, BBS Sysop and old computer days. It was sad to see the Amiga all but die as it was so ahead of it's time, but poor management does that. SAD.

M

MacHeadCase

Might be an old thread but very good info. Liked your post. Brought back so many memories of my Amiga, BBS Sysop and old computer days. It was sad to see the Amiga all but die as it was so ahead of it's time, but poor management does that. SAD.

Exactly how I think too. So what if the thread is 9 months old? It's got great info and it's entertaining.

lbrewer42 you done good! And welcome to Mac-Forums! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
One of the best threads I have read for a long time.

Amigas, C64s, old skool modems... ahhhhh

Almost like I was back in the 90s, Rave anyone?

Reaction score
Great post, I really DID lol! But I'm missing the avatar reference as well. And Thanos? Now I've got my curiosity genes going. No doubt, very obvious to everyone but me!

I want to switch so badly, in fact, I have to do something very soon as this computer which shall remain unamed, is dying a slow & painful (to me anyway) death, but have just a few more questions....for other threads.

Ha, still chuckling! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been away from cyberspace for a couple of weeks now.

Jennymac, my advice is to do some ebaying. I got back into the Apple world with a steal on a G4 800 Flat panel. Do a "completed items) search on ebay for "imac g4 800." You will see they have been going for 230.00 and up. Yes, I know they are not the intel based OSX/Windoze G5, but they are definitely far enough advanced from a Windoze platform that you will be thrilled with it. And, although leopard will not be installed, you will be totally thrilled with Tiger (even Panther). The 800 flat-panel is the machine I got back into the Apple world with. Ten, a month or so later, I got an absolute steal on a flat panel 1.25 20 inch LCD! It was 500.00 and came with a new laser printer. So I was running 2 of these great machines.

I had my 800 Flat panel at school - with a lab full of Dell's running XP. Guess which machine the kids liked not only b/c it was/is the most incredible design, but b/c they said it was so far ahead in technology compared to the rest in the computer lab!?

I admit I want an Intel machine someday as there are two Windoze-only programs I want to run (my GPS software and Ulead Photo Impact - best pic program I know of - (besides the days-of-old-AMIGA's Deluxe Paint (!)).

So an 800, for cheap, will definitely get you a satisfied foot in the door until you can get a newer machine. The price, BTW, two years ago (on ebay) of an 800 Mhz G4 flat panel was 800.00+. In just two years, b/c of the G5 and the Intel switchover, these have come down in price considerably.

When I do get a G5 - I will very much miss the look of these G4 flat-panels. I wish there was some way to install a G5's guts into this case.

Lee

BTW - for the fun of it - see if you can find an iGo desk by Rain designs (Google it). i got one on ebay for 75.00 (normally 300+) - these make the G4 look like a robot. I am thrilled with mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Very creative~! Love it!

And I'm proud of you for coming to the smart side. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.