New Mac User questions

Reaction score
I am a mac user at home and have decided to switch over to the duo core mac pro for my office where windows programs are the norm. I have ordered Parallels.
The question is, do i need to install win xp to use my windows programs. I am fed up with Microsoft and would like to avoid this at all costs but need the software to run my business. Any info is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Windows programs need Windows, plain and simple.
What programs do you need to run? There may be alternatives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i herd of a program that allows you to run the windows program without parrellels or anything, but i cant remember what it was called

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
i herd of a program that allows you to run the windows program without parrellels or anything, but i cant remember what it was called
You are probably thinking of Crossover. It is hardly worth mentioning. Most users have had minor to mediocre success with it at best.
If you really need Windows, then simply the best thing to do is run a Windows PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Virtual PC only works on PPC Macs. I use it on my PowerBook for the sole purpose of testing out websites I make with IE6.
It is extremely slow and not really useable for anything productive.

ah alright

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Codeweaver's Crossover Office is available for the Mac, but it's kind of redundant with the virtualization available with Paralells. It works very well on Linux, and I still use it to run Windows apps on Linux at work. With a current Intel Mac, however, it's just easier to use Parallels.

I use Parallels on my Mac when working from home (even though I have an employer supplied Dell Windows machine; it's just more convenient) and Codeweavers when at the office so I can use my Mac as a pure Mac. Having the choice, however, is quite worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.