How to organize an audio book on iTunes?

Reaction score
I want to rip some audio books I have. How can I get them to organize into a folder similar to the podcasts i subscribe to from ITMS? The podcasts all collect by category into folders with the little > arrow at the left side (National Geographic for example) ?

At the moment they all rip into iTunes like mp3 files so you get all these titles for chapters and subchapters.

Also, how can I get them to locate in the audiobook section of the library?

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I believe you need to rip them as AAC files. If you then rename the extension to m4b, they will then show in iTunes as audiobooks.

I like to use the Join Together AppleScript in conjunction with Apple's Chapter Tool. This allows you to rip CDs of audiobooks which will show up as a single track with the CD's tracks split into chapters on your iPod or in iTunes. Much cleaner, IMHO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.