Using Gmail through Apple mail (help)

Reaction score
I have my apple mail setup to receive my gmail but it never works properly. I'll get like 1 out of 4 messages in my apple mail and then have to go to gmail.com to get the other 3. It's very annoying and I can't figure out what exactly the problem is. Has anyone else had any experience with this? Thanks.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes I have all those settings correct. It seems like a couple pieces of mail still don't go through though. It's weird. Was just wondering if this had happened to anyone else using the gmail/mail.app combo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Yes I have all those settings correct. It seems like a couple pieces of mail still don't go through though. It's weird. Was just wondering if this had happened to anyone else using the gmail/mail.app combo.

I use Mail w/ Gmail.... The only thing that I can think of that may work for you is to go into Gmail... click settings in the upper right.... Click Forwarding and POP... click DISABLE POP (just hear me out...)... click Save Changes.... It will take you back the the main page (inbox)... Click settings again.... click POP and Forwarding... then click either (1)Enable POP for ALL messages...or..(2)Enable POP for future messages.... then click save... If you choose (1) all of your messages will dump into your Mail when you "get mail"... if you choose (2) you'll need to send yourself a test message (IMO from an email address other than your gmail address)...

Let me know if that works (or makes sense)... it seems that from time to time Gmail's POP service gets "Stuck" (though not often) and needs to be reset using the above directions.

Good luck my friend!

OP
D
Reaction score
I use Mail w/ Gmail.... The only thing that I can think of that may work for you is to go into Gmail... click settings in the upper right.... Click Forwarding and POP... click DISABLE POP (just hear me out...)... click Save Changes.... It will take you back the the main page (inbox)... Click settings again.... click POP and Forwarding... then click either (1)Enable POP for ALL messages...or..(2)Enable POP for future messages.... then click save... If you choose (1) all of your messages will dump into your Mail when you "get mail"... if you choose (2) you'll need to send yourself a test message (IMO from an email address other than your gmail address)...

Let me know if that works (or makes sense)... it seems that from time to time Gmail's POP service gets "Stuck" (though not often) and needs to be reset using the above directions.

Good luck my friend!

Thanks for the advice, i'll try this when I get back home tonight. Another thing I'm thinking that could be the problem is that my phone gets my gmail on it too so maybe my phone grabs some mail from gmail and my mail.app grabs others. Have you ever heard anything like this? Because I got 1 email so far today and it was sent to my phone but not to my mail.app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Maybe you need to set the phone to leave the mail on the server so Mail can pick it up too.
Best

OP
D
Reaction score
Maybe you need to set the phone to leave the mail on the server so Mail can pick it up too.
Best

Okay, so today I received 3 emails in my mail.app sent from gmail and none of those 3 were sent to my phone so it must be the phone interfering.

I can't find any settings on my phone though that would relate to leaving mail on the gmail server. I'm using a t-mobile sidekick 3. Not sure what to do now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
disable the phone, use the mac :))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
torchy is correct... You need to set your phone to "leave a copy of mail on the server".... I use a Palm Treo 700p (read: not a sidekick) to retrieve my gmail... So I'll describe in non-exact terms what you need to do, and I'm sure you'll get it set-up correctly (the way you are wanting it) on your sidekick.

Go into your email program on the side kick... Edit accounts... leave everything as it is, except find a section marked "more" or "advanced"... look through it (normally in a section called "servers") and find something that says "leave a copy of message on the server"... you need to ENABLE that feature....

Also... you will probably want to do the same within the Mail application on your Mac.

Having these set-up as-so, will ensure that EVERY e-mail that is sent to you will be received by your Gmail online account, your Mail.app on your Mac, and your Sidekick...

Let us know if you need any help.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, i'll try this when I get back home tonight. Another thing I'm thinking that could be the problem is that my phone gets my gmail on it too so maybe my phone grabs some mail from gmail and my mail.app grabs others. Have you ever heard anything like this? Because I got 1 email so far today and it was sent to my phone but not to my mail.app.

I an not sure if this is an option for you but I use Google's Java app for Gmail on my phone and it works a treat. No need to configure it and it leaves the mail on the server for "mail" to retrieve it when you get back to your Mac.

Cheers

OP
D
Reaction score
Hmm... so I found the advanced settings on my phone and it turns out that it wasn't set to remove mail from the server once retrieved. I then checked my mail.app and it actually was setup to remove mail from the server... weird because my phone would get the majority of the emails. Anyways, I made sure that both the phone and the mail.app server mail removal settings were off and it's still not working. It's either the phone or the mail.app that gets the mail, never both.

Not sure if there's anything else I can do now. Anyone have any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model: 17-inch MacBook Pro: (Specs) 17/2.53/2 x 2GB/500/GLSY
i need step by step instructions to have gmail work with Apple Mail

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.