Running Windows on Parallels AND Bootcamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I run bootcamp for games, but wish I had parallels for application use (have to use MS Access for work). Has anyone loaded Windows twice for using both ways? Can you share files between virtual Windows and Bootcamp Windows? In May I'll be getting Vista (for $10, why not?) and will load it on bootcamp and then reload XP via parallels.

Also, I've seen multiple threads say C2D on macbook pros is 64 bit, but bootcamp says you cannot run XP x64 edition. IS C2D truly 64 bit and you actually can run XP x64 if you want? If so, I can load both now as I have XP SP@ and XP x64 (again, $10)

Reaction score
I have both Parallels and Boot Camp set up on my machine; used one store-bought copy of WinXP SP2 Home for both installs. Had to call MS "tech support" to get the magic code to install it the second time, since the Paralles "machine" and the Boot Camp hardware machine look like completely different computers to MS.

My understanding is that Parallels, Boot Camp, or both will soon have a feature that allows you to use a single install to run both instances. That will save time and hard drive space.

You can access the Boot Camp/Win partition easily from within OS X, including from within Parallels as long as the files are in a shared folder; note that if you make the Win partition a NTFS partition you won't be able to write or modify any files from within OS X.

The Parallels "partition" only exists while Parallels is running. Therefore, it is not recommended that you save anything to that partition. Instead, save it to a shared folder that both Parallels and Mac applications can access all the time. However, I don't think Windows (including Vista) is capable of reading a Mac OS X partition, so you can't read your Mac partition while running Windows from Boot Camp. I haven't found this to be a problem since, like you, I only use Boot Camp to play games and I never have to worry about my work/real-life files while playing.

I can't answer your 64-bit question, sorry.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Student License - though I won't be able to get it until May. But I can wait a few months to save ~$400! :)

Thanks for the info ToddG

Reaction score
Student License - though I won't be able to get it until May. But I can wait a few months to save ~$400! :)

Thanks for the info ToddG

Nice, maybe since my younger brother is still in college he could hook me up. Don't think my 5 year old college ID would work anymore.

Can anybody explain in more detail about running parallels AND bootcamp at the same time? I just got my MBP a couple weeks ago and have installed parallels since it cost me about $10 after rebates, but I'm bummed about the loss in some hardware features through parallels and the inability to play games (although that would likely be rare.... I still like having the option though).

Reaction score
fluerya -- No problem, dude.

nickeleye -- Can you be more specific about what details you're looking for? At present, you install Win on a Parallels disk image and separate from that you install Boot Camp which will make a Win partition on your HD into which you can install Win. At some point soon, you will be able to install it in Boot Camp and then when you create a machine/image with Parallels, it will just use the Boot Camp installation. That will save you a gig or two of HDD space.

So when I want to play games, I boot over to WinXP via Boot Camp. The rest of the time, I run OS X and if I need a Win application or ActiveX website, I just run Parallels.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.