Damaged RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hello all. I bought a 2GB upgrade for my macbook, but when I opened one of the RAM sticks from the package, there is a small "chunk" out of one part. Will this affect it's performace? Should I even install it? Just wanting some insight. Here is a **-hum pic. As far as I can tell, none of the resistors or anything is damaged. Only that green stuff.

Photo 1.jpg

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Hello all. I bought a 2GB upgrade for my macbook, but when I opened one of the RAM sticks from the package, there is a small "chunk" out of one part. Will this affect it's performace? Should I even install it? Just wanting some insight. Here is a **-hum pic. As far as I can tell, none of the resistors or anything is damaged. Only that green stuff.

View attachment 4773

Thanks!

looks like its just the PCB that is damaged, but I would need to take a closer look to tell for sure.

If there are no components missing or damaged and or traces then you shouldn't have a problem. But I would talk to the company you bought it from before using it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.