Looking for good External Hard Drive for Airport Express Base Station-USB Hub

Reaction score
I have one of the new Airport Express Base Station's on the way and will be using a Hard Drive on it as a server for my home network. I"m interested in suggestions. Since this is bieng used on a large desk I don't need anything compact but definitely want a reliable drive and I"m looking at sizes of 540Gigs to 1TB.
I have looked at the Lacie's Little Big Disk as well as Western Digital's My Book Pro series and some of maxtor's offerings such as the One Touch III. I didn't see anything impressive from Seagate. Any other companies I should look at? I obviously need USB 2.0 but as well I'd like Firewire 400 and if possible Firewire 800 so I can use these when I need to hook into the computer locally for faster speeds. I think Ethernet would be nice for future proofing as a network drive but as well as long as Apple has this disk feature in the Base Stations it's probably not a necessity to me. Or am I better off just going with a good Gigabit ethernet drive and not using this USB 2.0 feature?
As well, since I'm going to be hooking up a printer to this as well I'm looking for a good USB 2.0 hub.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The USB on the Airport Express only supports a USB printer, not a hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
The Extreme on the other hand does support a USB hard drive.

I'd look over at http://www.newegg.com. They have great prices.

OP
M
Reaction score
I meant to say Extreme, that definitely makes a difference.
I thought of another question. If I get a drive that has firewire 800 and/or 400 in addition to USB 2.0 can I use the USB 2.0 on the Extreme Base Station across the network and as well for a local desktop computer (I plan to get a Mac Pro within a year) can I hook the firewire directly into that.
In otherwords use it as a netword drive across the computer but yet with the mac pro use it directly as a system drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I honestly don't know 100%, but I feel strongly that one port will out-weight the other. That is, either the Mac Pro will get the drive or the Extreme will get the drive, not both.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.