Mac Mini, Upgrades and Use???

Reaction score
Hi, I want to buy a mac, my first one ever. Now the thing is I mainly use Windows, and still be using windows. But was wondering if I could use the mac mini as a personal video recorder, if I bought an external recorder say from leadtek? I would also use an external hard drive, which I would use to record the video on there. But not only would I like to use it as a PVR, but I also would like to use it, to record music. So it will not be just used as a PVR, but also recording music.

Now my problem is I know I am going to need a lot of hard drive space and ram. Is it just best to go on the apple store and order all the upgrades, if I was going to buy the mac mini I would buy.

1.83Ghz Intel Core Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 - 2x1 SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA drive
Apple Wireless Keyboard & wireless Mighty Mouse

That comes to roughly $2000 aussie. Is it worth it to buy it for what I want to use it for? Can I do the upgrades myself for cheaper?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hi, I want to buy a mac, my first one ever. Now the thing is I mainly use Windows, and still be using windows.
Before you start configuring a Mac, you might be better off finding out what you need Windows for? What I mean is, what programs do you need to use on a daily basis?
Most anything that can be done in Windows can be done in Mac OS X... without the need for Windows programs.
You listed needs can certainly be handled by the Mac, but you stated that you will continue to use Windows. If that is the case, and the only reason you want the Mac is to record video, then you can certainly find a less expensive alternative for that. The Mac would not be the best choice for that.

What other needs do you have computer-wise? Don't get a Mac just to install Windows on it right away. Get a Mac for the Mac... not the ability to run Windows on it. Otherwise, it is quite a waste of time and money if you ask me.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
It sounds to me like you could find a cheaper way to get a personal video recorder and an external hard disk than by buying a Mac.

If your Windows box is meeting your needs, and the above is all you are looking for, look to the markets for those products.

If you are interested in getting a Mac *and* you would like those things you mention as "extras" that you might get along with your Mac, it could make more sense. But don't get a Mac *just* for the things you mention. Only get a Mac if you want a Mac!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I hate to deter you from buying a Mac, but it sounds like your interest in the Mac side of things is very limited. There are some excellent PVR applications for Windows that will easily handle PVR chores. Check out BeyondTV which rivals Tivo for ease of use and flexibility. I actively used that product for several years prior to switching over to Comcast's own dedicated DVR.

On the other hand, if you are looking to get your feet wet in the Mac world and are just using DVR capabilities as an excuse to buy a new machine, then I can certainly understand that. But although the Mac can be configured to use as a full-time media center, it is but one fish in a sea of options.

Reaction score
Why not get an iMac? It would cost about the same and the specs would be better...

Example:

Amount A$ 1,926.36
GST A$ 192.64
Subtotal A$ 2,119.00
Specifications

2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
160GB Serial ATA drive
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X
17-inch widescreen LCD
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

OP
B
Reaction score
If you are interested in getting a Mac *and* you would like those things you mention as "extras" that you might get along with your Mac, it could make more sense. But don't get a Mac *just* for the things you mention. Only get a Mac if you want a Mac!

That is my exact reason, I don't plan to run windows on the mac, I have always been interested in buy a mac and using one and instead of just having it there as a mac and just say I don't like macs (just saying) it won't become an obsolete item in my house.

I can quite easily get a decent windows PVR machine for just under $1000, but I don't want a windows machine I want to give the mac ago!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
after switching from windows to mac, i found that all my applications i used had mac os x versions as well.
I have now totoally ditched my pc :) / gave it to my mum

I say get a mac and see what you think, and if you don't like it sell it to a friend or put it on ebay :)

OP
B
Reaction score
after switching from windows to mac, i found that all my applications i used had mac os x versions as well.
I have now totoally ditched my pc :) / gave it to my mum

I say get a mac and see what you think, and if you don't like it sell it to a friend or put it on ebay :)

See I know I won't be selling it thats for sure, thats why I want to make sure I can do things like audio recording and using it as a PVR.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.