Do What You Like, But My MacBook Still Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Class act by the moderator to close my thread before I even had the opportunity to respond to the various queries. I am a legitimate Mac user reporting displeasure, frustration and disappointment. I am conveying my legitimate experience. Is Mac sycophancy the only allowable form of speech on here? Is this how you treat unpopular opinion on this board?

I am not a troll. Shall I provide photgraphic proof of my claims? Do you want to see a video of Safari crashing repeatedly? Do you want to see a photograph of a completely blank ITunes right next to a list of all of the media content on my Mac Book? Do you want to see the response I received from one of my bosses apropos my butchered email? I'll gladly verify my claims, if called upon to do so.

In any case, here is my response to various questions/comments:

1) Yes, I bought the computer new in September. Yes, everything is current, including the firmware.

2) did you ever have any problems like this when you were learning to use windows? (i'm guessing yes, no matter what the pride-biased answer might be)

Do you have a problem with reading comprehension? I specifically wrote that my interest in purchasing the Mac was based partly on the IX core. Does that read remotely like anything a Windows user would write? I am not a Windows user. I haven't been a Windows user for the past 7 years. I have used Linux exclusively since 2000 (until my Mac purchase) and I can tell you that while the learning curve in Linux may be pretty steep, once things are working correctly, they always will. BTW: what does ITunes barfing, Safari crashing and Mail garbling my email all within 12 hours have to do with a learning curve? Short answer: it doesn't. Get a clue.

3) "Personaly after having macs for my whole long life (15 years) i think ur an idiot, my parents have always bought them and they are awsome"

Irony (def): Being called an idiot by a 15 year old who can't string together a coherent sentence.

4) "Your situation sounds like you bought a brand new 1974 Chevy Vega with no rings, no oil, stripped gears in the trans, no coolant, and was wired to explode. I think I'm going to discount it."

As you wish. However, you're deluding yourself if you think my complaint is the exception given the litany of production defects that the MacBook has already experienced in its short life.

5) "Try repairing you disk permissions."

It's not a disk permissions problem. Trust me, I know: I administrate two Linux servers.

6) (My personal favorite) "Hmm... not all computers are perfect right out of the box, that includes Macs. Sometimes you get a lemon and you just have to be patient."

First of all, the perfection argument is a strawman. I am not complaining about the computer being short of perfect. I am complaining about the computer going FUBAR. I am complaining about the OS having a litany of issues with Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice/NeoOffice that are nothing like I have ever experienced before in Linux or have heard/read about in Windows. Second, yes it may be just a lemon. However, I am skeptical. In any case, can you understand my frustration? I have never had so much go so wrong on a computer in such quick succession. It was startling and infuriating. It just added to my already high level of displeasure with the computer.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
what exactly are you expecting here?

it seems you have scads of experience with an os similar to the guts of OS X and should be able to fix any of these problems with a little googling and ingenuity. so how can any of us help you? are you just asking for an ear to hear your gripes or do you want opinions, or help, or what?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would take it to Apple and show them what is up. It sounds like something is very wrong there. I have never had issues like that with a properly working Mac and OSX and I too am a Linux user and have been for years. Something truly is wrong. Have Apple look at it. Do you have an Apple store you can drive to and have them see what it's doing?

Good Luck.

I have only had a Safari crash once in a blue moon as I have with Firefox under XP or Linux, but not all the time like that. Thunderbird works great for me on OSX, Linux or XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Class act by the moderator to close my thread before I even had the opportunity to respond to the various queries. I am a legitimate Mac user reporting displeasure, frustration and disappointment. I am conveying my legitimate experience. Is Mac sycophancy the only allowable form of speech on here? Is this how you treat unpopular opinion on this board?
Your last thread was closed, not beacuse of the fact that you have had an unpleasant experience. Many people do and their opinions are voiced and heard here. There is nothing wrong with that. The thread was closed because of your candor. Examples of this are:
You folks are clearly delusional if these are the hallmarks of "The Most Advanced OS in the World." ...... Let the denial begin!
...Let me guess: you buy computers as accessories for your wardrobes.
Your remarks were insulting to other members of this forum. Your comments belittled the intelligence, decisions, and choices of those members and were completely uncalled for. Posting about a negative experience is one thing... making negative and degrading assumptions about other members is a completely different thing.

So no, it is not your opinion about Apple that is in question here, it is your overall attitude. That is why this thread is being closed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.