iWeb crashes on loading.

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to ask this, but just tonight, after loading and using it earlier today, iWeb refuses to boot up.

The symbol bounces on the dock, then vanishes and an error message appears. Not sure what to do about it . . . any suggestions?

Reaction score
G'day GRPGM,

I guess you're going to have to offer some further information as to your Mac and it's specs, what the error message says.

Have you tried launching iWeb from the Applications folder?

Try removing the pref file for iWeb:

Navigate to YourUserAccount>Library>Preferences and delete the following:

com.apple.iWeb.plist

Restart your Mac and see if this helps....

OP
G
Reaction score
I'm using a 20" iMac, 2.16 dual core 2, 2 gb RAM, 250gb hd, X1600 ATI Radeon . . .

iPhoto and all the other iLife apps are working great, I was having a ton of fun making a video with 'em, but iWeb has just completely stopped trying. I did delete the preferences file as you suggested, and my .Mac trial account hasn't expired . . . so I'm not really sure where the problem is. =/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Your .Mac account has nothing todo with it, it doesn't affect iWeb in that way. Usually if iWeb refuses i'm my case it has to 2 things:

- The TemplatesInfo.plist file is corrupt/it's been corrupted. If you know what i'm talking about, you probably have been playing with it, review it for errors or replace it with a backup copy. If you don't know what i'm talking about it probably isn't the problem. In any case, reinstalling iWeb will solve this problem.

- The Domain file has been corrupted. One of the problems (IMHO) ofiWeb is that it keeps all your pages and sites in one big XML file, if there is a problem saving one of your pages it can corrupt this file, not allowing iWeb to load, this has happened to me twice, but this isn't common. This file is located under:
User>Library>Application Support>iWeb>Domain

I would recommend you to reinstall iWeb, this won't destroy anything you have been working on and is the best way to solve the problem. If you still have a problem, depending on how much you have done with iWeb, i would recommend you to delete the Domain file (see path above), reinstall and start again.
I have had this 2 problems and that is how i solved, still it can be something else.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. I did a re-install like ya'll suggested and everything seems to be working out great again, but I've recorded all your suggestions in case I ever have a problem again.

Reaction score
I have had my Domain file go corrupt....cried....and have started over...I still have that corrupted file as I had typed up some stories which were saved on some of the pages in that domain file...Is there any way I can view the pages as html documents when I right click on the broken domain file and click "Show Package Contents"...?

Well, thanks...

John Edmunds
www.DeserteDNJ.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.