Spotlight issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2GHz 1.5 GB RAM
Hello I'm new to this forum and have just recently switched to mac mid 2006.

I have an issue with Spotlight. When I have my cable plugged into the ethernet port and I hit CMD + space or just simply click on the Spotlight icon in the top right corner it works as it should, But.. When I am using a wireless connection around campus (no matter where I am) the CMD + space and clicking on it does not work. Doing either of the two just leaves the Spotlight icon highlighted and no drop down box is present. I didn't notice this problem until i really started using spotlight and found it to be pretty worthwhile. It's pretty annoying when I am in the middle of class and I need to get to some obscure file quickly and Spotlight fails to respond.

Any ideas?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
does it pop up if you hit the down arrow once it is highlighted?

not sure what the issue is, but that might be a workaround.

by the way, welcome aboard!

OP
ARR0624
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't even think a bout hitting the down arrow key.
I'll try it as soon as I go wireless..
Thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; Radeon 9200; 40 GB HDD
That is really really odd... Maybe there is a setting on the wirless network for when you click cmd + space it's supposed to do something else??? For some reason i have a hunch that doing a disk premission repair may resolve the issue. I would give that a try for the **** of it cause it can never hurt. Let us know whats up!

...and welcome to the forum!

OP
ARR0624
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I called Apple and asked them about the issue. They told me that when the automatic login setting is on (as in login to the user when you turn on your computer) Spotlight has a tendency not to work on wireless networks.. i had never heard of this, has anyone else?

My spotlight now works now that I actually login to my user by typing in a password.

Weird huh?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.