My Macbook CD vs. my Macbook C2D experience

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hey all, I'm new to the thread. I just wanted to share a little experience. I am a student and I bought a Macbook with Core Duo last year, I was 50% happy with it because it only worked 50% of the time. My speakers were horrendously quiet, my memory went from 512 to 1GB randomly, and it ran at about 80C. Not a fun experience. However, Apple replaced it recently with a Core 2 duo (2.0Ghz black) and they more than made up for the craptop. This is the fastest computer I've ever owned. By the way, any fans of HL2 who are too afraid to try it on a macbook, do it! It works wonderfully. I'm getting about 42-50fps on highest graphics. So I will say that I am very impressed. One question though: I've noticed two extrodinary differences.

1. The speakers are super loud
2. the White on the power button is extra bright compared to my old macbook.

Anyone else experience this?

Trent out

Reaction score
If this is the case, im gonna upgrade mine to a C2D... how and why did apple send you the C2d???

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
It up and died on me. It wouldn't even turn on the other day. Plus they had so many repair records for it. They deemed it a lemon. Best of luck to you. They do have good support, but you'll have to go through a few people before they will replace it.

Trent out

Reaction score
Speakers are super loud?? All I read is how low they are. As in if there are any other noises in the room you cant hear it. Has that now changed?

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not 100% sure what changed. All I know is that on my old one, I had to have my volume all the way up on both itunes and the laptop. Now I can have the volume up 3 bars on the laptop and all the way on itunes and have almost double the sound. Might be a freak thing, not sure.

Trent out

Reaction score
My MBP is quiet running anything in OS X. Boot over to WinXP and the speakers are very, very loud. It has to be some kind of driver thing.

Reaction score
I think they did it, so it wouldnt blow out the speakers, to save battery life, and because at higher volumes it probably gets distorted

Reaction score
So i guess most of the problems faced by Core Duo are now fixed on the Core 2 Duo?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.