iMac G5 pre-Intel Video question

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have my son's iMac hooked up to our 37" LCD TV at home via the VGA dongle thing. Up until today we've never had a problem with it and we watch movies and television shows from the mac on our big screen and have enjoyed it.

Today, when I logged into my account I noticed that the resolution was all wrong. It looks like 800x600 stretched across my big screen. The LCD natively supports 1300x700 (or something very similar) and I believe when we originally hooked it up it just worked.

Somethings wrong today. It's totally screwed up. I went to System Preferences->Displays to try to fix the problem. This shows two dialog boxes, one for the iMac and one for the VGA monitor. As far as I knew, though, my iMac will only mirror the image it shows onto the TV.

The iMac dialog shows the various video settings that the iMac will show, but the VGA Display dialog shows a ton of settings, none of which really seem widescreen, and certainly not anything near 1300x700. It defaults to 800x600.

If I change the iMac dialog settings (currently set to 800x600 stretched) the image on my iMac screen shrinks - i.e. if I choose 1400x900 the iMac image shrinks to a small box about 1/3 the size of the monitor that's definetly NOT 1400x900.

If I disconnect the dongle, everything works fine on the iMac.

Can anyone tell me what might have happened and how I might get the TV to go back to happily displaying video at higher than yechy stretched 800x600 resolution?

Thanks for any enlightenment!!

OP
T
Reaction score
When I click on Detect Displays nothing happens. A lot of the resolutions that show for "VGA Display" won't work on my TV at all...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.