Camcorder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
Since I got my iBook I have wanted to do some digital vido on it and havent done it yet. I found a prettty good deal on Ebay and was wandering if I should get it and would it work with my iBook. The camera is a Canon ZR60 MiniDV. Would this work with my iBook and iMovie?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Yes. I started to buy one, but I purchase the Canon Optura 20 instead.

OP
dmachine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
Yes. I started to buy one, but I purchase the Canon Optura 20 instead.

Well I wont be getting that one now because when I showed it to my mom she said why dont I just spend the $200 extra and get a new one with a longer warranty. Since she is going to be buying it that is what I am going to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on which camcorder to get? I can spend around $500.

Thanks

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
dmachine said:
Well I wont be getting that one now because when I showed it to my mom she said why dont I just spend the $200 extra and get a new one with a longer warranty. Since she is going to be buying it that is what I am going to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on which camcorder to get? I can spend around $500.

Thanks

Nick

My friend who's into filming a lot is using both a Sony VX1000 and VX2000, but they are very expensive models, but he has recommended to me lower end sony DV models such as the TRV series, i think they go from 16,19,22, and 33. I've got the TRV22, thats has the most features and a good price too. The 33 is the next model up but all you get extra is the ability to record in a widescreen 16.9 format, and the models before the 22 dont have a memory stick function. I havent used this camcorder for apple yet since i'm about to make the switch, but i have used it with windoze, and it works okay with a decent program, but my mate said imovie is such a brilliant piece of software, and that firewire transfer is really good, plus the rendering rate is lower than windoze, this is one of the main reason i'm switching to apple,

I can recommend Sony TRV22, i've had no problems at all, easy to use, excellent picture quality, and a small enough size too.

K

KLank

citystar2k said:
I've got the TRV22, thats has the most features and a good price too. The 33 is the next model up but all you get extra is the ability to record in a widescreen 16.9 format, and the models before the 22 dont have a memory stick function. I havent used this camcorder for apple yet since i'm about to make the switch, but i have used it with windoze, and it works okay with a decent program, but my mate said imovie is such a brilliant piece of software, and that firewire transfer is really good, plus the rendering rate is lower than windoze, this is one of the main reason i'm switching to apple,

I can recommend Sony TRV22, i've had no problems at all, easy to use, excellent picture quality, and a small enough size too.
I also have the Sony TRV22 and would recommend it. I also don't have a MAC yet, but am saving up for a 12" PowerBook that I plan on using the camera with. One of the reasons that I am looking to switch to MAC's from PC's is based on information from MAC owners that say the editing is much easier & quicker with the MAC. Also, one of the MAC people uses the Sony TRV22 with his MAC, so yes they work.

Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I just bought a Canon Elura. It work perfectly with the ibook. I am pretty sure all Canons are designed to be compatible with Macs.

OP
dmachine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am going to Best Buy tonight to look at what they have and then I will let everyone know what I got. I will try to post some stuff I record on my .Mac account and then post a link here so everyone can see.

Nick

OP
dmachine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to Best Buy on Friday and picked up a Sony DCR-HC30. It is so sweet. Its nice and small and hardly weighs anything. I got it for a good price too. I had a digital camera from there that had a replacement warranty and they gave me the $150 from that and the warranty towards the Sony. I also had around $100 in gift certificates so I ended up paying $500 cash for the camcorder,bag,extra battery,and tapes. The camcorder alone is $599, so I got a good deal. I would reccomend this to anyone. Now I just need to get a external DVD burner. I dont even know if they make them but would they work with my iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
KLank said:
I also have the Sony TRV22 and would recommend it. I also don't have a MAC yet, but am saving up for a 12" PowerBook that I plan on using the camera with. One of the reasons that I am looking to switch to MAC's from PC's is based on information from MAC owners that say the editing is much easier & quicker with the MAC. Also, one of the MAC people uses the Sony TRV22 with his MAC, so yes they work.

Ken

Hi there, welcome to Mac-Forums. Sorry, I just have to point out one of my pet peeves, it's an Apple Mac, Mac, not MAC, sorry.

And yes, they do make external DVD burners.

:cool:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sKaD said:
Hi there, welcome to Mac-Forums. Sorry, I just have to point out one of my pet peeves, it's an Apple Mac, Mac, not MAC, sorry.

:cool:

I know what you mean. Every time I see MAC. I think of MAC addresses, which is unique to every computer.

OP
dmachine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If I got an external DVD burner would it work with iDVD? How would I check this other than buying it to see if it would work?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dmachine said:

If I got an external DVD burner would it work with iDVD? How would I check this other than buying it to see if it would work?

iDVD does not support external burners at this time. There is a hack out there that suppose to get iDVD to work with external burners. I just have not be able to get it to work.

OP
dmachine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
iDVD does not support external burners at this time. There is a hack out there that suppose to get iDVD to work with external burners. I just have not be able to get it to work.

So i am pretty much screwed on burning DVD's right now?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dmachine you are not screwed. I use iMovie and Toast 6 to create DVDs. I don't get some of the stuff that is in iDVD, but I can burn to the external burner with Toast. I am trying to get the iDVD data in a format that I can burn with Toast.

K

KLank

sKaD said:
Thanks for the welcome. I will be more carefull when using MAC vs. Mac ;) Hopefully with in the next couple of days I will be the owner of a shiny new 12" Powerbook. And then maybe I'll understand! I am still trying to deceide if I want to set the SuperDrive or not. I have a DVD burner now that will do both +/- DVD R/RW's and was just going to throw it into an external case.

Ken

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
KLank said:
Thanks for the welcome. I will be more carefull when using MAC vs. Mac ;) Hopefully with in the next couple of days I will be the owner of a shiny new 12" Powerbook. And then maybe I'll understand! I am still trying to deceide if I want to set the SuperDrive or not. I have a DVD burner now that will do both +/- DVD R/RW's and was just going to throw it into an external case.

Ken

If you are planning to use iDVD, then you will need the superdrive.

B

bells0

See my post in switcher forum about hack to get iDvd and external dvd burner to work

Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.