• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New iMacs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
I have heard talk of a new iMac coming out sometime soon, but I don't know what is supposed to be different about it, not even appearance or tech spec wise. Could someone enlighten me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
There are always LOTS of rumors. My guess - when a next iteration of the iMac comes out, it will have the new Core 2 Extreme quad core. I would guess that at the same time, you will see the Mac Pro move up to the same chip, and deploy two of them for an octal core.

Thats my crystal ball gazing for tonight! :)

Reaction score
Those Core 2 Quad chips sell for almost $900. I wouldn't expect to see those in consumer level desktops any time soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
who knows... what i do know is its getting a tad frustrating with apple releasing something new, in what seems like, every other freakin month. yeah, its nice to have new stuff come out, but dropping 1000+ bucks one day on a brand new product, and then 3 months later something faster and shinier comes out and my grand is now worth about 750.

kinda just makes my blood boil sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It can be annoying AnatomyOfARyan, but that is the computer biz... newer faster processors come out almost as fast as the rumors about them! If you let it bother you, it will make you crazy. Just get a computer that meets your needs today. If (and when) something faster and/or better comes out (which it will) your present computer still meets your needs. The presence of something faster/better doesn't invalidate the usefulness of the computer you have ... and, if your needs have changed in the interim, you can always step up.

I find it kind of neat - you ALWAYS have the choice of getting a better computer at any time. There is ALWAYS a better one than the one you have now.

But just remember, as soon as you get that new one, the cycle starts all over again, because something faster and better is bound to come out shortly thereafter!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
... yeah, its nice to have new stuff come out, but dropping 1000+ bucks one day on a brand new product, and then 3 months later something faster and shinier comes out and my grand is now worth about 750.
Your computer should be worth more than money to you. At least mine is.
Who cares if something new comes out and your "resale value" goes down? Don't worry about that kind of junk. Be happy with what you have. Don't pay any attention to what might come out until you are done with the machine you have and you are actively looking for something new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
DB makes a good point. I have a tendency to be a bit of a tech pack-rat. Heck, it wasn't until just recently that I permanently retired/sold/gave away everything I had that was older than a Socket A platform. Yes, I had every computer I'd ever owned until this last fall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gee I hope you don't come to regret that nukemm. I did a similar thing about a year and a half ago - I had retained every PC I had ever had with the exception of the very first one, which I sold to buy the second one. I had all of the rest of them, from then on.

In a fit of "spring cleaning" I gave all the old ones away to the local Salvation Army. I feel good that perhaps this made computers available to some less advantages folks who didn't have them, but I really miss having that living history - I honestly wish I hadn't done it.

Reaction score
Let's face it this is how companies continue to make money by introducing new product that the consumer "has to have"...

Look at the golf industry. They release new technology seems like every two-three months. A driver that will hit the ball farther and straighter. So what happens? Golfers need to have it.

With computers same thing. Newer, better looking and FASTER computers -- people have to have them!

Reaction score
I bought the iMac G5 w/ iSight 1.5 weeks before the first Intel Mac was released, but I thought about the positives, there would be no final cut pro for intel for like 3 months!

Same happens with cars, you buy the 2006 and they come out with an '07

Reaction score
I bought the iMac G5 w/ iSight 1.5 weeks before the first Intel Mac was released, but I thought about the positives, there would be no final cut pro for intel for like 3 months!

Same happens with cars, you buy the 2006 and they come out with an '07

I know exactly what you mean. I bought my 'new' 2004 nissan in March 2004, and asked if they knew when they new 2005 would be out. They said Sept or Oct 2004, so I thougth I can't wait that long. Then 35 days later, bang... the new model comes out. YOU CAN'T WIN!

That's why I bought my macbook core duo....got a great great price, and am content with it. I know there's something new out there, and once I out grow my macbook (not very likely...anytime soon), then I'll buy a new one!

I figure, just enjoy what you get now, and then don't think about it... you'll make yourself go crazy!

Reaction score
And with cars they're releasing the new models in like September of the previous year. Can't swin.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
I purposely bought my iBook before the MacBooks came out because I did not[/b] want another Intel computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
But in the past it was differet. minor increases in mhz were upgrades. Now its doubling cores and coming out with new processors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" macbook pro, 4gb ram
i thought apple would of waited till summer when this new rumoured intel chip thats replacing the core2duo comes out to roll out new products,
i dont think they will change the look of it, would be nice to see new processors the core2 extreme would be good but i reckon thats unlikely
hopefully better graphics card options too, DX10 compatible maybe ?? :)

Reaction score
I think one has to consider the amount of investment and time involved in developing a new case. The current model has been around a while, but they must have spent a long time developing the Intel architecture to fit inside it. At the end of the day, you've got to have a certain number of components to make a computer, and I'd say the current iMac design isn't far from being just about as beautiful and elegant as it can get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
I purposely bought my iBook before the MacBooks came out because I did not[/b] want another Intel computer.

gd point but as the ad goes - there doing a whole lot more than they ever did in a pc. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
This might sound crazy but,..... maybe they'll make imac come out in colours again... same colours as the nanos and shuffles maybe..... or at least a high end black one... black ima would look pretty sweet! match my macbook lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" macbook pro, 4gb ram
This might sound crazy but,..... maybe they'll make imac come out in colours again... same colours as the nanos and shuffles maybe..... or at least a high end black one... black ima would look pretty sweet! match my macbook lol

ive often wondered why they never did carry on releasing them in different colours it would make sense , the cost to apple is minimal and it would attract a lot of potential new customers, it would look good in black and a lot of girls would really big a pink computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
well this is stretching it alittle....or alot lol! but... what about custome engraving imacs and or even any other macbookk or mb pro?? maybe to show its a gift r even for buisness they'd put tags on them sayig where they belong in the corperation etc.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.