General slowness and cursor problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Intel Core Duo
I'm having a few quirks with my Mac the past few weeks. My system feels slower in general. I still don't know much about which processes should and should not be running so I figured I would show this to you guys for some help.

The most annoying problem outside of slowness is that the cursor gets stuck as a beach ball (not spinning) sometimes after switching users, and doesn't switch back to a regular cursor until it hovers over something that would change it. For example, the separator in the dock or a link on a web page.

(there is a dupe or two in these, because things changed, but just one or two)

Thanks in Advanced,
-Andrew

PS: The slowness is mostly in the morning for the first few min of use after it not being used. It wasn't that bad before, also I ran all Mac Janitor tasks, repaired permissions, restarted, launched nothing, and took these shots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; Radeon 9200; 40 GB HDD
There doesn't seem to be anything running that shouldn't be. Follow the tasks below to try and help with the "slowness"

Force running the maintenance scripts on your pc...this always helps me
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388

If your desktop is cluttered with short cuts, icons, progs, etc. get rid of them. For some reason if you have clutter all over the place on your desktop it slows the computer down. So just move stuff in the correct folders or in a location other then the desktop.

If it seems that your Safari is running slow, reset that. It clears all of its caches etc.

Also repairing disk permissions seems to help to.

If you don't know how to do any of this, most of this know how can be found here:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13136

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Intel Core Duo
There doesn't seem to be anything running that shouldn't be. Follow the tasks below to try and help with the "slowness"

Force running the maintenance scripts on your pc...this always helps me
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388

If your desktop is cluttered with short cuts, icons, progs, etc. get rid of them. For some reason if you have clutter all over the place on your desktop it slows the computer down. So just move stuff in the correct folders or in a location other then the desktop.

If it seems that your Safari is running slow, reset that. It clears all of its caches etc.

Also repairing disk permissions seems to help to.

If you don't know how to do any of this, most of this know how can be found here:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13136

Yeah I did all that before I even bothered to ask. Thanks though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
dont know if this matters, but I was told that sometimes background pictures and designs slow down your comp. The computer uses memory to "redraw" the background picture every time you open, close, move or resize a window. The window doesn't just "cover" up a stable background pic. It has to redraw it constantly. On my old ibook, I took the background picture off and put just a simple black screen in the background and saw a noticeable difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; Radeon 9200; 40 GB HDD
...that is a good point but he has a duo core setup with at least 512MB RAM so I don't think re-drawing the desktop all of the time would cause his computer to do what it is doing.

I figure I'd throw out the basic things that many overlook so I figure I'd just cover everything lol. Did this slowness etc. start happening recently? Was it intermittent before now it is all the time? Did it happen after you installed an app? What other troubleshoooting steps have you taken to resolve the issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
What are all those Openbase PPC processes?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.