Titanium with broken hinge, how about taking the broken hinge off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G3 (dead), Powerbook G4 Aluminium (dead), Powerbook G4 Titanium (alive and kicking)
Just like the other 90% of Titanium owners, mine has a broken hinge (the left one when I face the screen). I don't want to replace the hinge (either too expensive or to scary, especially bending the screen bezel), so how about carefully removing the broken part and operating my Pbook with only one hinge? I guess I would avoid putting too much pressure on the right hinge and would be able to tilt the screen to a comfortable angle (it goes fine to 90°, but I am scared to tilt it any further).

does it sound like a safe solution or am I too optimistic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I think you are too optimistic, running a powerbook with only one hinge seams like it would put too much pressure on that hinge leaving you wit no hinges and a screen that is just hanging there...

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G3 (dead), Powerbook G4 Aluminium (dead), Powerbook G4 Titanium (alive and kicking)
The way the hinge is broken is basically that the part that was together with the bezel is now always in position as if the lid was properly open, so my other brilliant idea would be to glue it back o the bezel. Do you think I am reaching a higher level of stupidity?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
it sounds to me that youare going to have 2 broken hinges in a matter of weeks.

ifixit sells them new for a hundred bucks and used for fifty....probably cheaper on ebay.

it is apparently difficult to do but IMHO well worth the hassle
-chris

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me correct, as I actually didn't explain it right. What I want is not to take the hinge off but only the little part that was in contact with the bezel and that now stays in position, regardless of how tilted is the screen.

The hinge looks just like in this pic:

http://www.powerbook-fr.com/IMG/jpg/charniere-ti2.jpg

So how about leaving the hinge but carefully removing the broken part? how about glueing it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.