Questions about running Windows on I Mac

Reaction score
Running windows on Mac

Will you be able to run Vista with the new Leopard? How about Parallels? Which is best. I really want a 24 in. I mac later this year but I have to be able to run my Windows software on it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Don't know where my post went so will try again. I plan to buy a 24 in. I Mac later this year. Will I be able to install Vista on it when Leopard comes out? And can Vista be installed on Parallels? Which is better, Boot camp or Parallels? I really need to keep my Windows software.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Don't know where my post went so will try again. I plan to buy a 24 in. I Mac later this year. Will I be able to install Vista on it when Leopard comes out?

Yes, but why you would want to is my question.

And can Vista be installed on Parallels?

Yes.

Which is better, Boot camp or Parallels? I really need to keep my Windows software.

Depends on what you want to do. If your programs require 3D graphics (like games), the Bootcamp is the better choice. For just about everything else, I prefer Parallels since it runs at the same time as OS X.

In time, I think you'll find that the Mac has all the software you need. But if you intend to buy a Mac only to run Windows, I'd ask you why you thought about switching in the first place.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will you be able to run Vista with the new Leopard? How about Parallels? Which is best. I really want a 24 in. I mac later this year but I have to be able to run my Windows software on it.

See my answers to your other post which was basically the same.

OP
P
Reaction score
Running windows on mac

Thanks,
The reason I want a mac is because I have always wanted one and because I started with windows and have so much software I never made the switch. But now that I will still be able to run my favorite software I can finally get that mac. I am looking forward to running a mac and finally learning what it's all about.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks,
The reason I want a mac is because I have always wanted one and because I started with windows and have so much software I never made the switch. But now that I will still be able to run my favorite software I can finally get that mac. I am looking forward to running a mac and finally learning what it's all about.

Just keep an open mind and remember that the Mac is not a PC. It has its own unique set of quirks and it takes time to get used to it, just like getting a new car.

The reason for my comment is that it seems we have a number of members who just bought a Mac to run Windows and find themselves disappointed that although it does run Windows well, it is limited by a number of Mac traits (like only having one mouse button, having beta drivers that can be a little bit buggy, etc). If you intend to run Windows 90% of your time and explore Mac OS only on occasion, you might find yourself feeling the same way.

OP
P
Reaction score
Not sure how I would run windows with only one mouse button. Now you are making me nervous!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure how I would run windows with only one mouse button. Now you are making me nervous!

Well, if you are buying a desktop, you can always attach a two-button mouse. If you are buying a laptop, you can either CTRL-click for a right-click or enable the "two-fingered tapping" feature which registers two fingers tapping on the touch pad as a right-click. It is very natural once you get used to it.

This is exactly what I mean by keeping an open mind - just because you have to do things differently, doesn't mean that the Windows way is "the right way" or "better", it's just different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged and Moved to a more appropriate forum

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.