My terrible Mac Book: Let me count the ways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
In the past 12 hours this overrated piece of garbage has:

1) Magically barfed away my ITunes library. Poof. It's gone. No rhyme or reason. All it took was my clicking on the ITunes icon to start the program and my playlists and podcats disappeared into the ether.

2) Waged war on Safari, causing it to crash every time it attempted to open. Granted, the only reason I was back on that overwrought, plodding garbageware is because the MacBook apparently dislikes FireFox as well.

3) Attached two PDFs at mid-email so that the recipients received a garbled mess for the 2nd part of the email. Of course, this email was only the most important email I've written to my bosses and will factor tremendously upon my career. Lovely. Again, the only reason I was using Mail was because the MacBook doesn't like to play nice with Thunderbird either.

Suffice it to say that I am done with the Apple experience. You folks are clearly delusional if these are the hallmarks of "The Most Advanced OS in the World." I should have known better and gone with a basic T-series IBM or equivalent and a bedrock Linux distro. I can't wait to read the litany of rationalizations for the experiences above. Let the denial begin!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Just curious, why'd you get a Mac?

OP
D
Reaction score
I was curious, especially once Apple switched to the Intel platform. I figured fancy bells and whistles around a solid IX core should make for a productive and fulfilling experience. It has been anything but productive and fulfilling. I was also enamored with the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Reaction score
Interesting

Has anyone else experienced these occurrances?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, I've been a very happy Mac user for almost 9 years now.

Just curious again, but why would you pay <$1000 for something you were curious about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
No not yet anyway. I think I should back up my iTune library right now.

OP
D
Reaction score
Nope, I've been a very happy Mac user for almost 9 years now.

Just curious again, but why would you pay <$1000 for something you were curious about?

Um, because I needed a new laptop.

Have you always been an Apple user? What kind of car do you drive these days? Is it from the same manufacturer as every other car you've owned? Do you eat the same brand of foods every day? Do you dine at the same restaurants?

Let me guess: you buy computers as accessories for your wardrobes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
In the past 12 hours this overrated piece of garbage has:

1) Magically barfed away my ITunes library. Poof. It's gone. No rhyme or reason. All it took was my clicking on the ITunes icon to start the program and my playlists and podcats disappeared into the ether.

2) Waged war on Safari, causing it to crash every time it attempted to open. Granted, the only reason I was back on that overwrought, plodding garbageware is because the MacBook apparently dislikes FireFox as well.

3) Attached two PDFs at mid-email so that the recipients received a garbled mess for the 2nd part of the email. Of course, this email was only the most important email I've written to my bosses and will factor tremendously upon my career. Lovely. Again, the only reason I was using Mail was because the MacBook doesn't like to play nice with Thunderbird either.

Suffice it to say that I am done with the Apple experience. You folks are clearly delusional if these are the hallmarks of "The Most Advanced OS in the World." I should have known better and gone with a basic T-series IBM or equivalent and a bedrock Linux distro. I can't wait to read the litany of rationalizations for the experiences above. Let the denial begin!

That has not been my experience with mac. If I had an experience similar to yours I would be really frustrated too. But it really isn't characteristic of Mac software or hardware.

I would erase and do a fresh install and if that doesn't fix the issue I would return it to where I bought it from or call apple support because something isn't right with that mac and the problem needs to be corrected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Please don't feed the trolls.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I hate to say it, but I had an ibook a few years ago that trashed my iphoto library for no rhyme or reason, and I have had major problems with safari crashing on my last ibook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Have you always been an Apple user? What kind of car do you drive these days? Is it from the same manufacturer as every other car you've owned? Do you eat the same brand of foods every day? Do you dine at the same restaurants?

Cazabam, you're probably right, but for argument's sake:

I started out on Windows '95. I hated it and loved my friend's iMac G3. Ended up getting a Powerbook and loving it.

I drive a Mazda Miata, used to drive a Nissan 240sx. Before that a Mitsubishi 3000GT, and before that a Honda Accord.

Subway constitutes a lot of my diet, but lately it's been a lot of fish. Like last night, I made Mahi-Mahi on the grill with broccoli on the side.

Like I said, I eat a lot of Subway, but love Red Lobster and a few small Italian joints.

You guess wrong. I buy whatever computer fits my needs the best. Plus, I don't really have a wardrobe. I own, maybe, 4 shirts, 2 pair of pants, and a jacket.

Usually, when I find something I don't like I quickly discard it and try to find something that works better. I've been using Macs for 9 years, gather from that what you will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Hmm... not all computers are perfect right out of the box, that includes Macs. Sometimes you get a lemon and you just have to be patient.

My .02 cents :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13'' 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 gig of ram, 6x Superdrive
Has anyone else experienced these occurrances?

Nope, I got my MacBook back in December, and have had no trouble w/it

Reaction score

Apple is the only person who claims OS X is the most advanced OS in the world. And suggesting that Apple is a business-running company, not an art club, they would probably do what you call... marketing.

And sure, I'm dilusional, why not.

Reaction score
safari sucks when you first get the computer. SafariSpeed and Saft drastically change that. When I used firefox on the PC i fell in love and swore by it. Now on the mac, safari is just as good. And I hated my MB when i first got it. But you have to get used to it. Its completely different than windows. Dont try to learn how to use it. Just carry out your every day tasks and let it seep into you, and theres no way you can't like it. Its just amazing

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score

actually quite a bit of why i switched a few months back was that i was curious and wanted to learn something new. so far i haven't had any of the problems you have, and i'm a pretty heavy user. did you ever have any problems like this when you were learning to use windows? (i'm guessing yes, no matter what the pride-biased answer might be)

although you could have gotten a dud...
did you buy it new or used?
and either way, did you make sure you had all the applicable updates from apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 1.6 GHz Powermac Yosemite, iMac G3, Macbook, and a bunch of antiques
Personaly after having macs for my whole long life (15 years) i think ur an idiot, my parents have always bought them and they are awsome, i suggest you reinstall your os, i have my dad do that sometimes when my computer goes wack while im at school, ugh, but other then that deal with it, every computer has its bad things so does everything, oh and id use entourage, its cooler and easy for us ski idiots, not then anyone else here skis, you guys should!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Gee, none of that stuff happened to me when I got my new Macbook. Nor did it happen with my wife's Macbook.

Now, granted it hasn't been perfect. Seem's there might be a little sleep problem with mine. Drained the battery while sleeping overnight last night. But a call with the guy at AppleCare had me reset the PMI (or maybe the SMC, not sure which) and we'll see tonight if it drains the battery again while sleeping unplugged. If it does, then I'll take it to the Apple store and see what they can do about this admittedly minor issue.

Your situation sounds like you bought a brand new 1974 Chevy Vega with no rings, no oil, stripped gears in the trans, no coolant, and was wired to explode. I think I'm going to discount it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.