Upgrading Video Card

Reaction score
Is it possible to upgrade the video card in an iMac?

I know the new model comes with a choice of one of two video cards. If the one I buy has the lesser graphics card, can I buy a card and upgrade it later?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Got this information from another forum as I was not sure

I use a 20" iMac at my church office (and another PC) and just purchased a 24" iMac for my photography business. The unit I purchased (not from Apple) was configured with the 7300 GT, 128MB graphics card. Lots of rumors out ther (many of which I've explored, looking for more than speculation) about whether one can upgrade to the 7600 GT, 256MB card. Of course, you can configure a new purchase from Apple with this upgrade, but can it be done to existing 24" iMacs once they ship...or if you purchase one with the 7300 card refurbished, used, or new from another party.

The answer is "YES". This comes first hand from Apple technical support department (which I spoke with today). Here is what they told me:

1. This upgrade can be done after purchase
2. It will not be performed by any Apple store (they just won't do it). As to why, your guess is probably accurate.
3. It can be performed by an authorized Apple reseller/service center. They can (whether they will may be another issue) order this part (the 7600 GT card) and install it for you. The Apple Technical Support representative assured me that there is a part number that is availalbe to them if they chose to order it and perform this upgrade.
4. What do you do if your local authorized Apple reseller/service center refuses? Apple Tech Support gave me this advice: keep inquiring with other Apple resellers until you find one that will let you give them your business. According to Apple, they are out there.

So, there you have a little "Apple Insider" news. Gentlemen (and Ladies), start your engines!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
The iMac 24'' has interchangeable video cards so you can upgrade to the GT 7600 256MB if you like. The 17'' and 20'' however do not offer this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.