iphoto not loading photos from library

Reaction score
I moved my iPhoto library to my external HD(8.5GB worth!) and changed the default location by selected 'choose library' and navigating to the new location. The library won't load any of the photos or albums so I rebuilt the library by quitting and holding down <option><alt><shift>. The library rebuilt but only bought back half the photos without the albums.
I deleted the iphoto library from the pictures folder and recopied with the same error, this time the bar showed it was scanning and reading the photos but they still didn't come up in the library.
Also quit iphoto, deleted iphoto preferences restarted iphoto and re-navigated to the library without any success.
Also tried overwriting the priveleges and unlock any files with BatChod 1.37 with no success.

Help! Any ideas???

Reaction score
I moved my iPhoto library to my external HD(8.5GB worth!) and changed the default location by selected 'choose library' and navigating to the new location. The library won't load any of the photos or albums so I rebuilt the library by quitting and holding down <option><alt><shift>. The library rebuilt but only bought back half the photos without the albums.
I deleted the iphoto library from the pictures folder and recopied with the same error, this time the bar showed it was scanning and reading the photos but they still didn't come up in the library.
Also quit iphoto, deleted iphoto preferences restarted iphoto and re-navigated to the library without any success.
Also tried overwriting the priveleges and unlock any files with BatChod 1.37 with no success.

Help! Any ideas???

G'day lirrincity & welcome to Mac-Forums.

Try doing this for me please ... Hold down the option key while launching the program to bring up the "Choose Photo Library" dialog box.

In the Choose Photo Library dialog box that appears, click on "Choose Library". Navigate to the iPhoto Library folder on the external hard drive and click on Open. You should have to do this only once. The next time you open iPhoto, it will know to look on the specified drive for your library.

Post back if this works, please.

OP
L
Reaction score
hey there,

Have tried this previously and have just tested again to make sure. Problem is when I choose the library it then doesn't bring up any photos aftter navigating to the correct location.

Thanks

lirrin

Reaction score
Ok lirrincity, I will keep on searching for an answer.

So all your photos are currently stored on your ext HD. There are no copies on your Mac in the Pics folder. iPhoto will only import some but not all. Is this right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
burn a dvd or two of them incase your external hd fails. just whilst trying to import.

wouldnt want to loose 8.5gb worth of pics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
You could try iPhoto Buddy. It lets you quickly switch between two libraries and makes sure you're using the one you think you're using.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.