Can you copy dvds on a macbook?

Reaction score
I want to back up my dvd collection, but I am not sure if my macbook will burn them. I use dvd shrink and nero on my pc to copy dvds. On the macbook, can I copy dvds out of the box ,or will I need to get some extra software to copy dvds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I use MacTheRipper + Popcorn

MacTheRipper is the Mac equivalent of DvdDecrypter, Popcorn performs the same functions that CloneDVD for the PC does (transcoding a DVD9->DVD5 and burning).

I didn't realise that Handbrake works with CSS-encrypted discs. I may have to give that a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I did not know that MTR supported intel!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I've not used Handbrake, so I can't judge... I like the idea that it rips and transcodes; could kick those two steps off on the way to lunch and have it ready to burn when I come back.

I'll have to give that a try.

That said, I've been quite happy with MTR+Popcorn (DVD2OneX is an alternative to Popcorn, but unlike Popcorn it requires an separate burning tool).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I've not used Handbrake, so I can't judge... I like the idea that it rips and transcodes; could kick those two steps off on the way to lunch and have it ready to burn when I come back.

I'll have to give that a try.

That said, I've been quite happy with MTR+Popcorn (DVD2OneX is an alternative to Popcorn, but unlike Popcorn it requires an separate burning tool).
It rips and transcodes into a format (avi, mp4) that will need to be retranscoded to burn to a dvd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
It rips and transcodes into a format (avi, mp4) that will need to be retranscoded to burn to a dvd

Yes, HandBrake is not quite like DVDShrink - it does't fit a D/L disk onto a S/L disk; it just rips the content and ignores the menus and so on. MacTheRipper rips DVDs but doesn't alter them - they're only good for writing back to the same type of media.

Popcorn is what you want if you want to convert a DVD or MTR-ripped image into a S/L format from a D/L rip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I find Handbrake good to rip DVDs into .avi files, which is completely different from what DVD Shrink does on Windows. If you want to rip DVDs to Audio_TS and Video_TS, then MactheRipper is a better choice. The beta is still slower than DVD Shrink in ripping DVDs, but I'm sure with time this little issue will get ironed out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ok, I'm seeing a LOT of misinformation in this thread.

1-Handbreak is an app designed to compress movies to a format to watch on your iPod or computer, not burn back to a DVD. You can reconvert the AVI or MP4 file back to DVD, but you are going to lose quality when you do so as nothing that HB encodes is DVD quality, they are ALL lossy formats.

2-Handbrake will not handle DVDs with any serious protection on them, such as "zero cells". You have to use MacTheRipper and DVD2OneX to get around this, but we won't discuss that here as it violates forum policy.

3-Mac the Ripper will simply copy a DVDs Video_TS folder to your Hard Drive.

4-You need Toast or Popcorn to burn that Video_TS folder BACK to a new DVD. This process is lossless and you retain full quality from the original.

If all you want to do is copy a DVD to another DVD, use MacTheRipper. If you want to convert DVDs to watch on your Mac, iPod or eventual AppleTV, then Handbrake is the App for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 1GB 120GB HD...soon to upgrade to 2GB of Ram
so if i use MTR to rip it and Toast to burn it i should be golden?? to be honest i dont need any menus or anything. im leaving to go back overseas soon and want to bring some of my movies with me without worrying about ruining the originals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yep, that should work nicely for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
4-You need Toast or Popcorn to burn that Video_TS folder BACK to a new DVD. This process is lossless and you retain full quality from the original.

If all you want to do is copy a DVD to another DVD, use MacTheRipper. If you want to convert DVDs to watch on your Mac, iPod or eventual AppleTV, then Handbrake is the App for you.

Yes, abosolutely. My last post was based on a bit of information I perhaps should have made clear; most commercial DVDs are dual layer, but the original macbook (I believe it's a different drive in the C2D MB) can only burn single layer disks. This mean that to burn a copy of a dual layer DVD you need MTR to rip it, and Popcorn to squish it down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.